Chapter 1

{Character in picture: Sierra Furtado as Tinsley Mathis}

{Song in video: Pale Waves - Television Romance}

"Come on, Tinsley, we should definitely go to the party," one of my best friends, Nina Herrera, said as she got off her bed. She was still trying to convince me to go to a party later this evening. "It'll be fun, and we can have a girl's night out."

One of my other best friends, Savannah Braden, whipped her long blonde hair in my direction. "We haven't had a girl's night in a long time. I'm sure it'll be fun, like Nina said," she said, nodding her head in agreement as she sat down on Nina's bed.

I looked over at my other best friend, Sadie Ramsey, for support. She looked at me back, and said as she shrugged, "It doesn't matter to me."

I sighed as none of them seemed to budge. I wasn't much of a party person when it came to loud teenage parties. I didn't mind going to smaller laid-back parties, but since this was the last day of school, I knew it was going to be a huge one with a bunch of rowdy teens. "Fine, I'll go. But if anyone spills a drink or throws up on my shoes, then I'm leaving," I said reluctantly.

"Deal," Nina said, grinning. "Now, let's start getting ready."

"It's only six o'clock," Savannah piped up. "Besides, I'm already ready."

Nina gave her a look up and down, laughing. "Girl, we have got to do your makeup."

Savannah rolled her eyes. She didn't wear much makeup in general, except foundation for her face. She already had natural beauty, so I didn't think she had to wear makeup, but since Nina was the fashion and makeup stylist of the group, she liked helping everyone else in that department.

"Nothing too bright please." She folded her arms, looking unamused.

Nina had a tendency to wear bright eyeshadow and lipstick. "Deal."

I personally wore foundation, black mascara, black eyeliner, and pink lip gloss most of the time. That's just what I liked personally doing.

Nina took out a bunch of different cosmetics. There was a big packet of eyeshadow, many lipsticks and lip glosses, mascaras; all with every color you could possibly think of. She also had a contouring packet. I didn't even have as much makeup as her.

"That's a heck lot of makeup," Sadie pointed out. She looked at Savannah, who didn't look amused, then laughed.

Nina turned around. "You're next," she said to Sadie.

Then, it was Savannah's turn to laugh as Sadie groaned.

Sadie didn't wear makeup at all. She had her unique natural beauty, as she was mixed with being half-black and half-white. I've only seen her wear lipstick twice since I've known her.

As we were getting ready for the party, I was reminiscing how I met my friends.

I remembered the first day of middle school when I first moved here to California, originally from North Dakota. I was shy and quiet back then. It was especially hard to talk to anyone when I didn't know anyone. Hardly anyone talked to me until Nina randomly came over to the table I sat at by myself for the first week. She introduced herself, and started talking to me. Even when Savannah and Sadie went over to her, she told them that they were going to sit at my table. Then, they also started talking to me. We were best friends ever since. Nina was the outgoing confident one in our group, Savannah was the one who would just go with the flow, Sadie was the tomboy athletic one, and I was the girly girl who was on the quieter side.

When we were done getting ready, Savannah had a face full of makeup, and Nina managed to get Sadie to wear eyeliner and lipstick.

I had straightened my light brown hair, which was naturally wavy.