Chapter 17

{Character in picture: Jade Chynoweth as Giselle Schumann}

{Song in video: The Chainsmokers ft. ROZES - Roses}

"Go tell her," Manuel pleaded, sighing. "You'll have to tell her sooner or later, so you might as well just get it over with now."

I sighed as I sat on my couch. "I don't know..." I started to say, then imagined my mom getting mad at me for getting into contact with my dad. "What if she says I'm not allowed to visit or even talk to him?"

"I know you're worried about that, but just think, even if that does happen, then you can legally contact him in two years. I will be here with you to help your mom understand that your dad isn't an unfit alcoholic. I can't say whether or not that will prevent her from making that decision, but I think it will help in some ways." He sat down on the couch next to me, holding my hand. "You also made a promise to your dad." He gave me a look.

I sighed, knowing I could no longer put this off. "Fine, let's go tell her then."

We got up from the couch, and walked over to the dining room, where my mom was drinking champagne as she read one of those celebrity magazines. "Mom, I have to tell you something," I said to her in a low tone, looking down. Manuel put his arm around me.

My mom looked up at me, having a serious look on her face. "What is it?" She asked, having a concerned tone in her voice.

"Promise me you won't get mad." I looked at her, having a straight face.

She sighed. "Okay."

"I got in contact with dad. Manuel, my friends, and I visited him when we went to Beverly Hills."

She let out a sigh of relief. "Oh, thank God."

Manuel and I glanced at each other, giving each other a confused look. "You're not mad?" I asked her, feeling confused.

She started nervously laughing. "No, I'm not. For a minute there, I thought you were going to tell me you were pregnant."

Manuel and I's mouth dropped in surprise. "No!" I exclaimed, feeling my face flush. "Jeez, mom."

"I mean, the way you were acting...Never mind." She shook her head as her facial expression turned serious. "So you saw your father?"

I nodded my head. "Yes. I looked him up on Facebook, and I decided to message him. He messaged me back, and then we made plans to meet in Beverly Hills. We met at a restaurant to talk. He told me everything that happened. How he was an alcoholic, the divorce, and how he changed. He went to rehab to get help, and he's been sober for ten years. He told me he tried to contact you when he became a fit parent, but you wouldn't answer his calls. He wanted to contact me, but he was afraid to."

She blinked, still having a serious facial expression. "I didn't contact him back because when we were married, he told me time and again how he quit drinking, but he would always go back to it." She sighed. "I just wish you told me about contacting him before you met up with him yourself."

"I was afraid that you wouldn't let me see him."

She sighed. "That's right, I suppose." She took a few sips of her champagne.

"He wants to meet again." I took out my cell phone. "We even took pictures, look." I showed her a few pictures of my dad and I.

"Well, he does look put together." She took another sip of her champagne. "I will allow you to meet again, but only after I speak with him to see for myself if he's changed."

"Okay." I nodded my head. "I'm telling you, he changed his life. He's now a real estate agent."

"It's true, all of us met him," Manuel added, raising his eyebrows. "He seems like a good man."