Chapter 16

{Character in picture: Rob Lowe as Frank Mathis}

{Song in video: Joywave - It's A Trip!}

I kept walking around, and pacing around my room as my boyfriend and friends were all getting ready to drive to Beverly Hills to meet my dad. Now that I thought of it, I thought it was strange that my dad didn't offer to at least meet halfway, since we lived about a few hours away from each other, but I assumed that he was probably busy.

We decided we would need to take two vehicles since there were six of us, and none of us had a van to fit all of us in. Manuel and Nina were each going to take their cars. Manuel, Caleb, and I would go in Manuel's car, and Nina, Savannah, and Sadie would go in Nina's car.

I was quieter than usual since I kept thinking of what I would say to my dad when I saw him. I knew I couldn't just straight up ask him why he left us, and why I never heard from him.

"I'm sure it'll be fine," Manuel reassured me as he kissed my hand, then pulled me close to him. "We should probably go now since it's already close to ten o'clock."

My mom came downstairs, yawning. "Have fun in Beverly Hills," she said to us. "Not too much fun though." She jokingly squinted her eyes at Manuel, which caused us to laugh.

I had told my mom we were going to Beverly Hills, but I didn't tell her it was to see my dad. Technically, I wasn't lying to her since we were all going to Beverly Hills.

"We will!" I exclaimed to her as all of us waved goodbye. "I'll text you when we get there, and when we will leave."

The six of us went into the cars, and started driving off. We mainly talked, and listened to music on the way there. When we got closer to the restaurant, I was starting to get a little more nervous. "I can't believe I'm about to meet my dad," I said, feeling some tears in my eyes. I felt a mix of emotions, including happy, sad, and nervous. "I'm not going to cry to ruin my make-up." I laughed nervously as I fanned my face.

"You'll be fine, Tinsley," Manuel said, holding my hand. "I'll be close by the restaurant, so you don't have to worry about being completely alone with him."

"I also feel like I'm betraying my mom in some way by not letting her know." I bit my lip as I looked down.

"You're not. You deserve to at least meet your dad, and hear him out. At least, you'll know after you meet him."

A few minutes later, we parked at South Beverly Grill. From the outside, I could tell it was an upper scale restaurant. I could see of what some of the restaurant looked like inside. The wooden interior and booths reminded me slightly of Outback Steakhouse, but a fancier version of it.

Before I would forget, I texted my mom that we were in Beverly Hills.

I didn't know whether I should message my dad that I was here, or just go inside, and try to look for him. I looked into my purse to make sure I had enough cash to pay for my food. I sighed of relief when I did since I didn't remember if I checked.

Since Nina, Savannah, and Sadie already got out of Nina's car, Manuel, Caleb, and I got out of Manuel's car. I looked around outside to see if my dad was there, but I didn't see him.

"I don't see him," I said as I kept looking around, clutching my purse in my hands.

"He might be inside," Manuel said to me, then pointed at the restaurant. "Want me to check first?"

I nodded my head. "Please."

Before Manuel started walking, Nina asked, "Wait, isn't that him?" She pointed at my dad, who just entered the restaurant.