Chapter 49

Mature

"Thank you for today."

"Anything for you."

"I just don't want you spending so much on me. I appreciate it, but please can you lay off a little? I don't want you to run out because of me.."

"Khloe, I told you to stop worrying about it. I have my ways. I won't run out."

"What does that even mean?", I groaned, staring up at him through the dark.

Our small whispers were heard around the room, disappearing within the depth of the crème walls.

For dinner, Niall had taken me to a higher class Italian restaurant in downtown Mullingar. It was more of a relaxed dinner. I had originally planned on asking some questions that I was curious to know and that he still hadn't answered, but he was in a rather happy mood so I decided it was best to save them for some other time. I didn't want to get in a disagreement on our first day here.

"It means that I have no worries as far as money. I have plenty right now that I want to spend on you and plenty more to come as the years progress. Please don't ever worry about it." He whispered back, leaving a lingering kiss on my forehead that made my stomach do flips.

"What, do you secretly work for the president or something? And I don't want you spending money on me." I chuckled, watching his eyes glisten from the moon light.

He quietly laughed, shaking his head. "No, but like I said, I have ways."

We sat in silence for a few minutes just embracing each other. Admiring one another.

"Is it your dad?", I asked timidly, not wanting to spark a nerve.

He was quiet for a minute before letting out a small breath.

"Yeah. He, um- well, my family down the line somewhere founded HSBC and it has now been passed down to my father. And now-"

"What's that?" I interrupted.

"It's a multinational banking and financial services company. It's headquartered in London. And I believe it's the second largest bank in the world."

"Holy shit." I breathed. Yeah, okay. He's good.

"Yeah, and my dad is the CEO. And once he's gone, it's mine because my brother wants out of the family name and tradition."

Why would he want out? I get that his dad is not a very nice person, but wasn't that just to Niall? I would think Niall would be the one to want out.

I ran the pad of my thumb over Niall's cheek, absorbing the softness into my skin. "It must be hard."

I wasn't necessarily talking about the business anymore, but more his life growing up. I didn't say it, but I was only hoping that Niall would understand and catch on.

"I struggle, but I'm learning, Khlo. I'm learning." He ran his free hand that he wasn't propped up on, down my arm, leaving small goosebumps in its wake. "I'm learning with you. I'm learning in life. I'm learning and trying. This is all very new to me. I've never had a friend before and it's weird just having one randomly thrown in my life now."

"What about your 'boys' at the frat?"

"They're my brothers. I don't see them as friends."

"It's the same thing, Niall."

"But it's not. You're a girl. You have a different way of thinking. They're them. They've been with me through every step, yet they keep their distance. But you. You drive me crazy." my heart dropped a bit. "You pester me. You're stubborn. You won't stop until you get answers and I can't stand that. You have a different way of thinking than any other woman I've ever met. You confuse the hell out of me-always changing moods. You're not like the others who I sleep with, who are skinny, fakes and who wear a shit ton of make up. Your not one to just have meaningless sex. You're nothing that I'm used to, and I hate that I can't figure you out. I'm not used to any of this."