Worry Wart Part Two

As soon as I walked into science class, Mr. Schwartz walked to me.

"Furter, did you talk to your parents about the telephone like I asked you?"

"Yes sir."

"What did they say?"

"It's our cultural beliefs, why we don't have a phone. You see, we're a bit old fashioned-"

"Get a phone installed please."

He had no emotion in his voice, like a robot.

"What's gonna happen if I don't?" I asked politely.

"Just get a phone in your household, nothing's gonna happen to you. Everybody needs a telephone in this day and age Miss. Furter. It's not 1900."

"Yes sir."

"Take your seat, class has begun."

I sat down.

When I got off the bus for the last time for the weekend, I started thinking about this morning. I didn't have the guts to come home. The bridge I cross right when I get off the bus with the creek flowing under it. This is Denton, Texas. Texas! A southern state, creeks are so common. A mile from the castle I walk every day. I stood in the middle of the bridge against the railing. For a more calming effect, I turned on my portable radio. A right song in the right location.

I sat my radio under the railing so it was in my reach and it won't fall in the water. I just spent that time playing in the creek. My goth makeup washed off my face from the water.

I took deep breaths as I walked to the castle. I opened the creaky door. The first person I saw was Riff Raff.

"Fran, you're a bit later than usual."

"Well sorry Riff Raff."

"What happened this morning, you seemed so upset?"

"I wanna talk to my father about this ok?"

"Fine. He's in his lab."

"He's always in his lab!" My voice boomed as I walked away.

I walked to Dad's lab. I knocked.

"Come in."

Dad seemed in a normal mood. I walked in, I guess he's psychologically decent.

"Dad."

"Francesca, my darling, come here."

He had his arms open for a hug. I started walking slowly to him.

"Dad I'm sorry I startled you. What happened this morning was all my fault-"

"Darling."

We hugged.

"You didn't mean to sweetie. Riff Raff said you left here this morning upset. No reason to be upset about this no?"

"No."

I loosened up, I did mean that much to him to not do the same things to me he does to his servants. Unconditional love, the earthlings call it, what we all call it.

He let go.

"Why are you all wet? And your makeup's gone"

"I swam in the creek to clear my mind before I came home."

"You were that worried!?"

"Yes. I'm a worry wart. I got it from you."

He chuckled.

"Oh Franny."

He hugged me again. As soon as he let go, I sneezed.

"Oh, bless you - you're sick, I can sense it. A fever too, good heavens. I'll walk you to your room. Get you in your night wear and into your cozy bed."

We walked out of the lab.