Chapter 8

It was sometime after the incident in the park with Gwen and her confession with Baxter, Charlie and Vaggie. Luna expected the worst from Charlie and Vaggie, but it was the exact opposite. While they were somewhat mad about her keeping part of the truth from them, they completely understood why she did. As for Luna being a possible liability for the hotel, Charlie and Vaggie assured her that she wasn't a liability. They had been through worse, so death threats from lowlife's like Gwen were a cake walk for them.

     Molly visited Luna every now and then when she could, and on this day, they decided to visit some of the graves of their fallen coworkers from the hospital. The whole way there Luna told Molly about what happened at the park, and just like Charlie and Vaggie, she was mad but understood. The cemetery was located on the outskirts of Hell. It was huge because of the exterminations every year, so they had to have a map to find them all. One by one Molly and Luna visited each grave spending a little time for each and laying a flower in remembrance, until they got to the last one- Robert.

     The girls knew it was going to be hard seeing all the graves of their friends but seeing Robert's grave was hard, especially for Luna. Robert was the brother and protector she never had growing up, Molly and Luna talked about all the good times they had with Robert while they practically cried their eyes out. To Molly, she and Luna were much closer to Robert than anyone else he was with, she hoped by visiting his grave there can be a least a little bit of closure for them both.

     Later that day, Luna was in the medical ward ready to head out when Charlie appeared. "Hey Luna?" "Yes Miss Charlie?" Luna asked. "Can you look at one more patient before you get ready to fix supper?" Charlie asked feeling guilty. "Sure." Luna said happily. She had no idea that a deer would be the next patient, and from the looks of the deer it appeared to be sick. "I found him in the courtyard out back. According to Baxter, you apparently worked with animals a lot when you were alive." Charlie said trying to keep the deer from moving around too much. It was true that she worked a lot with animals thanks to research and working with Mama Belle, she just hoped that knowledge would be useful for this case.

     "Yes, I have Miss Charlie and I will do my best. Can you tell me anything as to what you saw from observing him?" Luna asked with notepad in hand. After Charlie told her what she saw, she suspected that the deer ate something he shouldn't have, as to what she wouldn't know for sure. After thanking her for bringing him in, Charlie left the ward, making sure the buck stayed in there. Luna knew she had to be careful, because animals big or small can still fight even when sick or injured. To her surprise, the deer didn't make any moves to indicate he felt threatened as she moved closer.

     "It's okay. I'm not here to hurt you. You're safe here." She said as she knelt before him. She had put some berries in her pocket before she started walking to the deer. Luna looked at the deer closely to make sure she can get out of the way if he decided to charge. She noticed that he was crimson and black furred with red eyes, black antlers and appeared to have yellowed teeth as he grinned, in truth the buck looked familiar. He took her offering of fruit and didn't seem to mind as Luna checked over his body. However, he started to be more fearful when the needle came towards him, this was because Luna needed to put an IV in one of his front legs so that she can put some fluids into his system. She held on to him firmly as she pressed his body against the wall and talked sweetly and gently to him.

     "It's alright...you're safe." She said softly. The buck seemed to understand her, because after 5 minutes of trying to fight her off, he relaxed and let her do her job, laying on the floor. "Thank you." Luna said softly offering him more berries. She sat next to the deer as the fluids went into his body. 'Strange, this deer seems familiar and much more domesticated than most.' She thought to herself observing him. For some reason, he appeared to look sad, even though it was still grinning. It may have been because he wasn't feeling good, but still. After thinking about what Mama Belle would have done and what she had learned, Luna thought of something that might help lift his spirits.