Chapter 12

After Luna helped Alastor, she worked up the courage to ask both Baxter and Alastor for their help in controlling her magic. Baxter decided to work on her memories more during her therapy sessions, but nothing really changed. Alastor agreed to help her learn how to practice voodoo and hoodoo properly but told her that there were some things that she had to learn on her own. She was slow in progressing on her skills but eventually she had a much better control than before. She still worked hard in the medical ward as well as helping in other areas of the hotel, while practicing her magic at night.

Soon the big event was a few days away and it was all hands-on deck to get things ready. Alastor announced this event on the radio for 2 weeks and so far, everything was going rather smoothly until today. Supplies went missing or broken, orders were a day late and the pressure was getting on everyone's nerves, especially for Charlie, who was intent on making this a big success. Three days before the event, the cleaning crew took their pay without cleaning up the ballroom, which greatly aggravated Vaggie. So, Luna and Niffty were tasked on cleaning up the area as much as possible before rehearsals for the musicians started tomorrow. About two hours into cleaning did Luna notice that Niffty wasn't her usual self, as she had a saddened expression on her face. Something she didn't really show all that often.

"Miss Niffty, are you alright?" Luna asked placing a hand on Niffty's shoulder. This caused Niffty to snap out of her train of thought and force herself to pretend that everything was alright.

"YES! I'm fine!" Niffty exclaimed rather too loudly. "Why do you ask?"

"Well you seem kind of sad...and that's not like you Miss Niffty." Luna said carefully. She was about to continue when something snapped in Niffty and she flung herself onto her, almost making her lose her balance. Luna soon heard loud but muffled crying from Niffty, so she held her dear friend while sitting on the stage trying to calm Niffty down. Eventually Niffty did tell her why she was so sad.

"A while back, my boyfriend dumped me after I couldn't stand him breaking anymore promises he made to me, I cried about it a lot after that. Then this morning, I saw him again and he says he wants to get back together. He says he loves me and misses me, but I don't know what to do Luna!" Niffty cried. Luna grabbed a tissue out of her pocket and gave it to Niffty to wipe her tears away.

"Is there anything I can do to help?" Luna asked. "Well..." Niffty looked up with a sad puppy dog eye. "Will you sing a song for me?"

Luna hated it when Niffty did this. Despite her still being anxious about singing, she seemed to always crumble whenever Niffty or Charlie gave her that look. Luna sighed before answering, "Alright Miss Niffty. If it'll make you feel better, I'll sing you a song......and I think I have just the one you need to hear." Luna set Niffty down, walked towards the audio equipment and plugged her phone into the audio jack. Luna picked up Niffty and set her on top of the piano that was on the side of the stage. She sat on the piano bench when the music started to play. She began to sing the perfect Ella Fitzgerald song that just might help Niffty: "Cry Me A River".

As Luna sang, Niffty took in every word of that song, while unbeknownst to them, Charlie, Vaggie, Husk, Angel, Baxter and Alastor had heard the music play and decided to investigate. When they reached the entrance of the ballroom, Charlie, Vaggie, Husk, Angel and Baxter were shocked to see that it was Luna singing on the stage. Alastor on the other hand just stood back and took in the lovely sight before him. Since the day Luna comforted him, he had been craving to hear her sing more and more but couldn't find the right way to ask. Hearing her sing now, fulfilled that craving, for now anyway.