Chapter 11

-America's POV-

I woke up with the worst possible headache. I opened my eyes as slowly as I could trying to adjust to the light. I looked in the corner to see someone with golden blonde hair with his back turned to me. "Maxon?" He turned around to face me. His face turned from confusion to gladness when he saw me awake. He ran over to me and kissed my hand. "I'm so glad you're okay." He whispered into my knuckles. "Maxon, what happened? Where are we?" "There was a rebel attack. You were shot in the side. I'm gonna go get the doctor. He wanted me to tell him when you were awake." He kissed my hand one more time and left. I was shot again? Did the bullet hit my baby? Was it okay? Where was Aspen and my family? Were they okay? Did the rebels get to them too? Maxon came back followed by the doctor. "Hi America. I'm Dr. Conrad Hawkins. I oversaw your survey and will be checking in on you while you're here. Now, you were shot in your right side. We were able to remove the bullet without damaging any major organs but you did hit your head pretty hard so you do have a concussion but the headaches will stop in about 2 to 3 weeks. Just make sure you get lots of rest, drink water, take painkillers, all that jazz." "Thank you doctor. What about the...um...?" I didn't want Maxon to know yet. I pointed to my stomach hoping he would understand. "The baby?" Maxon jumped in. I looked at him confused. "How did you...?" "Doesn't matter. What matters is I know now." "The baby is doing just fine. As far as we can tell it's perfectly healthy. I'm going leave you two to catch up. Rest up." He turned to leave. I thank him as he leaves the room. Maxon and I were silent for a while. I don't think either of us knew what to say. Maxon finally spoke up first.

"Your pregnant? Is that the secret that Aspen was talking about?" "Yeah" I said in a whisper. "You could have told me America. You can trust me. I know that we have been through a lot but like I told you I still love you. And I wanna be there for you. Even if it's not mine." "I didn't tell you because I don't have to run my whole life by you. You chose someone else. I have to live my life without you." "You are living in the house that I bought you." "Because my house in Carolina is too small. My family and I need to save money and shouldn't waste it on a house if we already have one ready for us." "Do you love him?" "Who?" "The baby's father. Do you love him?" "I don't know anymore. I have been without him since I got pregnant. I'm getting used to it." "If he came back into your life and told you he wanted to be with you and the baby, no matter the cost, would you go with him?" "I don't know." "Who is the father, America?" That was the one question I didn't want him to ask. I wasn't ready to tell him. "Why are you holding back, America? You can tell me anything." "I don't know if I can. We came so close, Maxon. We had something extremely special and we threw it away. It broke my heart. I don't want to open myself up to that kind of heartbreak again. I need to be able to take care of myself. And my child. I don't need any help from anyone." "Am I the father?!" He never spoke like that. So stern and determined. "You are." He inhaled deeply and ran his finger through his hair. I felt the tears coming down. "I'm the father? I'm the baby's father. I had a right to know." "I know. I know. The longer I waited the harder it became to tell you. You seemed so content with your life and your choice. I had to learn to live with that." "Then why do you still wear the ring I got you?" The night Maxon and I were together, he gave me a ring. It was a temporary engagement ring. He was having my real one made, but it wasn't ready in time. It was silver with a blue topaz heart. Blue topaz is the birthstone for December, which is when he proposed and our love was born. My real ring was supposed to be gold with our birthstones wrapped around each other. "To remind myself of what I lost. And to never make that mistake again." "America. I love you. I believe that we can have the life that we wanted. You were the only one I ever truly wanted. I made the worst mistake of my entire life. My life is empty without. You have made my life full and exciting and enjoyable. I never want that to end. And this baby. I want to be in its life. Having a family with you means everything to me and if you let me I want to raise the baby with you. Even if it means I have to give up the throne. I would gladly give up my title and become a Five with you. As long as I get to have you and our baby in my life. America, what I wanted was very simple from the start. All you have to do is say that you feel the same." "What about Kri..." "I don't love her. And right now she doesn't matter. No one else does. All that matters right now are the three of us. Forget about everyone and everything outside those doors and tell me how you really feel about me."

"I love you too." That was it. I said it. Before I knew Maxon crashed his lips onto mine. His touch felt so comforting. It made me feel safe. Like nothing else mattered, just like he said. Maybe we could be happy. Maybe we could be together again. I wrapped my hands around his neck and sank deeper into the kiss. I never wanted it to end. But unfortunately it did. Maxon pulled away, but our foreheads stayed connected. "Will you marry me?" I laughed and gave him another kiss. This one was a little more playful. Like we have been together forever. "What do you think?" "I'll take that as a yes." I nodded my head. "Yes, of course." 

.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.

Hey y'all.  Wow that was a long one. I'm glad I was able to bust it out. Hope you are enjoying the book so far. Don't know when the next chapter will be up but hopefully it will be sometime this week.

-Hugs and Kisses