Chapter 18

-Maxon's POV-

"The baby...She didn't make it." His words hit me like a thousand bricks. We lost our child? I turned to America, who broke down sobbing. I held her in my arms as she cried. I felt a tear or two come fall out of my eyes as well. "What happened?" I asked the doctor. "Well, America just went through a high amount of trauma and abuse. When the body goes through stress like that, it can work overtime to keep itself stable. But because you're body was trying to keep you strong, there wasn't enough energy for the baby." "So it's my fault. I wasn't strong enough to support my own child?" America said as she kept crying. "No America. You were an amazing mother. It's my fault. If I hadn't brought you back to the palace you would have never been taken." "Actually it's not really anyone's fault." Dr. Ashlar piped in. "Sometimes things happen where the body can't support the baby." "So does that mean I can never have children?" Oh no. I hope that's not the case. "No you can. Clearly you were able to become pregnant. The problem is taking care of the baby. Eating well, getting rest to save energy for the baby. Things like that. Just keep those things in mind for next time." "Next time. You hear that America? We can try again." She was silent and had a dead look on her face. "America, are you okay?" "I'm a terrible mother." she whispered and started to cry again. I just held her in my arms, knowing that everything would be okay. I just had to find a way to convince her that it would.

Two weeks later and America still didn't come out of her room. She would sit at her window seat and stare out the window with a blank look on her face. I went into her room to try to bring her breakfast. She wasn't eating much. "America, darling. You have to eat something." "I'm not hungry." "Yes you are." I put down the tray and sat down across from her. "You have barely eaten a full meal in the past few days. You have to take care of yourself. I don't want to lose you to starvation." She just continued to stare out the window with a blank look. "America, I know that you're upset and angry but we have to move on darling." "Like you? You mourned our baby for five seconds before you moved on. I'm sorry that I need a little more time to be upset about the loss of our CHILD." "America of course I'm upset. You know that all I've ever wanted was a family. With you. But this was not our only chance to have a child." "So our child was expendable is that it?!" "No darling I just mean..." "Maxon, please I want to be left alone." What was I going to do? I hated seeing her like this. I walked over to her desk and grabbed a piece of paper and a pen. I wrote her a note and put it in her hand. As I was leaving the room, I saw her open it. It said "Tugging my ear, our bench, one hour, love you"

An hour later I was sitting at our bench. Waiting for her. I eventually saw her walking towards me. She reached up and tugged her ear. I motioned for her to sit down next to me. "This is where it all started. I met you in this spot and everything in my life changed. I know what we lost. I'm reminded of it everyday. But what hurts my heart even more is seeing you like this. I think that this is a second chance for us and we should take it." "The baby brought me back to you. Now that she's gone what gonna happen to us?" "If there is one thing I learned from these past two and a half months, it's that I never want to be apart from you. We were meant to be together and we have this second chance to start over. Let's take it. We can have the life that we have always wanted." I pulled her ring out of my pocket. The real one. It was ready a few days after she left. I didn't have the heart to get rid off it. "What do you say? Let's make it official." "Okay."

THE END

.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.

A/N: Hey y'all. That's it. That's the end of my first book Thank you so so so much for reading. I really enjoyed writing it. If this gets to 50k reads. I'll write an epilogue. In the meantime I am working on my next book. So keep an eye out for it around new years. Thanks again.

-Hugs and Kisses