Chapter 13

-America's POV-

Walking into the palace felt like second nature to me. Like I was supposed to be there. And having Maxon by my side made it feel even more right. It felt like a memory. And with this is memory came a lot of others. The first time I got a makeover. My first interview. The first time I met the other girls. The first time I met Maxon. It felt like such a long time ago. So much has happened since then. Maxon and I had grow something incredible. We were so in love that we didn't know what to do with each other. I like to think that we still are. We are. I do still love him. I wanna spend the rest of my life with him. But there was obstacles that we had to get through first. "Welcome back." Maxon said hugging me from behind and resting his chin on my shoulder. "What are you thinking about?"

"The Selection and everything that happened during it. It's been almost two months since I've been here and so many memories came flooding back all at once." "I know the feeling. That's how I felt when I saw you again. I knew from the moment I met you that you were special and the more I got to know you, I discovered I was right. I fell in love with everything that makes you special and everything else that you are. I love you and I never want to let you go again." He always knew what to say to make me fall for him all over again. I turned around in his arms and kissed him. We melted into the kiss, like it was going to be our last. We held onto each other for as long as we possibly could. "I love you too." I said when I pulled away.

"Maxon you're back. I was worried when you didn't come home the night of the party." Kriss came running and threw her arms around Maxon. She didn't even seem to notice I was there. When she loosens her grip on him, she finally turns to me. "America." she says trying to sound happy for appearances, but I could tell she was surprised and a little angry. "What are you doing here?" "Maxon invited me here. He's been telling me that you have been having a lot to celebrate recently so he thought that it would nice to hire me as the official palace performer." It was the best I could come up with on the spot. "Oh that is a good idea." She turned to Maxon and gave him a disapproving look. She did not want me here. That much was clear, but I didn't want her here either and I knew who was going to win this battle, because I already have. "Well if you'll excuse us, I'm going to show America to her room and help her unpack." "Bye Kriss. We will have to have lunch together soon." I smiled as I walked away.

I thought Maxon was going to take me to the room I had during the Selection, but it looked like we were going to his room. We ended up right across the hall. "The palace was built with a hallway of bedrooms for the royal family. Maybe one day this room could be our baby's room." "Then where will I sleep?" I asked him jokingly. "Hopefully by my side." He said, pulling me closer to him. "Well then, maybe I should be unpacking in your room." "Not yet, my dear. But very soon." "I love you but I'm still not your dear." "Worth a shot." He laughed and pulled me into a kiss. We eventually sat on the bed with me in his lap. I wanted to stay like this forever. But, life isn't always perfect.

"So what do we do?" I pulled away and I could see the defeat in his eyes. I could tell that he didn't know what to do. "I'm not sure yet. All I know is that I need a legitimate reason to divorce Kriss." "Has she done anything illegal that can strip her of her title." "Not anything I can prove." He looked disappointed. "What do you mean?" He was hesitant but he then admitted it. "I overheard Kriss talking to two men in her bedroom during a rebel attack about a week and a half ago. I'm almost positive that they were rebels." "They were. Kriss is a rebel. She wears their symbol around her neck. I confronted her about it and she admitted it." "Why didn't you tell me?" "Because I didn't want you to think I was trying to lower someone else's chances of winning to raise mine." "Oh that wouldn't have mattered. You were my pick from the start." He pushed stray pieces of hair behind my ear and held my face in his hand so delicately, like I was made of glass. "She has admitted to me that she is a rebel, but it's my word against hers. I don't know how successful I will be." "You were the kingdom's sweetheart from the beginning of the Selection. They might believe you, but you're right it might not be enough." He was pacing the room now. He was nervous but I think he more anxious than anything. He wanted this to be over just as much as I did. I stood to comfort him. "I know that you want this to over. I do too. I want us to be together and I want us to be a family. I don't want to hide anymore. I want to shout to the world how much I love you. But we can't just yet. But the sooner we do what we need to do, we can be together and nothing else will come between us again."

"You're right. But how?" "Maybe we just need to take a step back. If our word isn't enough, we are going to need actually proof. Maybe we could catch her talking to the rebels. If we catch her in the act, then she will have to admit it. We could charge her for treason and strip her of her title. The only problem is we don't know when or if they will be back. The attacks were always random. We never knew when they were coming." "I do. I heard them say that they would return in one month. Which would be two and a half weeks from now. The only problem is I supposed to get married in less than two weeks." "Push the date back. Tell Kriss that you want to wait a while longer." "That won't be easy but I think that's our best plan." "What if we gave the rebels another reason to come?" "Like what?" "Like me." His expression grew worried. "No. No I won't use you as bait. Your live and the baby's means more than all of this." "I will be safe, Maxon. The guards could watch me until they show up. I could..." "No America! This is non-negotiable! This is your's and our child's life we are talking about! I won't risk that for anything! That's final!"

"Okay. Maybe we could come up with something else to draw them out." "Let me tell you what. I'm going to try to talk to her first. Try to avoid them coming at all. You unpack and come up with some ideas in case I fail, okay? Ideas that don't involve you risking your life, okay?" "Okay. I promise. I love you." He pulled me in for a kiss. I was ready to start my life with him. I was ready to be with him for the rest of my life. I just hope that there are no more bumps in the road.

.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.

Hey y'all. I'm back. Sorry for taking so long. I didn't get as much writing done as I thought but this chapter is long so I hope it makes up for it. I got back on Friday night and I spent the day writing. Thanks for your patience. The next chapter should be up by tomorrow night. Thanks again.

-Hugs and Kisses