Chapter 8

-Maxon's POV-

The palace was abuzz yet again with another party. But for the first time, I was actually excited about this one. This one would be different. I could feel it. She would be here. I was ready, but at the same time, I wasn't. I didn't know what I would say. What I would do? Would she even accept me? Accept my apology? What if she already started a new life? Was she married? Children? What if I lost her for good? I couldn't let thoughts like that cloud my judgement. I had to have hope that she would be here. Kriss came in to go over the agenda for the party. We would walk in together, answer Gavril's questions then I would have to leave. Which was going to be a problem. If I wasn't allowed in the ballroom during the party, how would I get her to talk to me? I don't know. I think I just have try.

The day of the party came and I spent hours in front of the mirror. The white tie or the blue? The black jacket or the brown? I don't know why this was so difficult. I never really cared about clothes but for some reason, today I did. I don't know what difference my tie color would make. "Kriss, can you come in here a minute?" "Yes, darling?" "Do you want us to match for the cameras tonight?" Her face looked a little brighter at that. "Yes. I'm wearing a cream colored dress. Go with the black." "Thank you." I put on the blue. I think America would appreciate it more. It always was her favorite color.

I heard Gavril announce our names and we walked into the ballroom together. There was a roar of applause and I saw the bright lights of the cameras flashing. We waved and said our hellos as we walked to Gavril. He was filming the party live for the Report, so we were obligated to make an appearance on camera. As we walked, I scanned the room. I couldn't see her, so I looked around again. And again. And again. And again. But I had no luck. I couldn't find her. She wasn't here. I leaned over to Kriss. "Did all of your guests show up?" "Almost. Elise has political business in New Asia and America said she is too sick to travel. Everyone else is here though." Oh no. I hope she's okay. Maybe I should go check on her. Make sure she is okay. No, that's crazy. No, it's not. I should go to her. If she isn't going to come to me then maybe I should go to her. She lived here in Angeles. It wouldn't take long to get to her.

"So Maxon, will you be staying for the party?" "Actually no. It's a girls only zone. Besides I have somewhere else to be tonight." I gave Kriss a quick kiss on the check for the cameras and walked so fast out of the room, I was almost running. I went to my office and called in my assistant, Adam. "Can you have a car ready to take me into the city?" "Yeah. 20 minutes?" "That's perfect. Thank you." When he left, I packed a small bag. It was enough stuff I would need in case I spent the night. I went downstairs, gave the driver the address and was on my way. The closer we got the more nervous I became. The short 35 minute drive seemed like an eternity. When we finally arrived, I felt my heart skip a beat. What if she wasn't home? What if she slammed the door in my face? I don't know if I could take that kind of rejection. I debated getting back in the car and turning around. But that would mean that I would miss my chance to see her again. I took a deep breath and mustered every piece of courage I had to knock on the door. To my despair, Magda answered the door. She took one look at me and called America into the room. "America! It's for you!" She moved out of the way and went to another room and there she was. "Maxon?"

"Hi America." She looked so startled. "Should I have called first?" I said jokingly, trying to break the tension between us. "I...I... what are you even doing here?" "You weren't at the party. Kriss said it was because you were sick. I came to check on you. Make sure you were okay." "Why? You are engaged to someone else." "I know but... I wanted to tell you that..." What was I thinking? "You know what this is wasn't a good idea. I should go." I started to walk away. "Maxon, wait. What did you come here to tell me?" I hesitated for a moment. I wasn't ready for this like I thought I was but I had to. "I still love you."