45

"He's still breathing."

The whisper rolls slowly across the room. It's so quiet that I think I've misheard and both Harry and I look up to where Ashna's hair makes a veil over Louis' body. "He... He's still breathing." She whispers again.

"The tablets..." Harry murmers suddenly.

"Huh?"

"At the last few Dream Factory reviews they gave us tablets to prepare for the end, they said it would make it easier! You insisted me and Lou didn't swallow them. Maybe that's why the injection hasn't had a full effect." He whispers slowly.

"Of course!" I breathe, trying to think my way out of this. "Ashna?"

"Yeah?" She lifts her tear stained face to look at me.

"Don't move or anything... If anyone comes in, don't give any sign that there's anything different about Louis, ok?"

"Dude... I'm not sure but I think I took those pills." Niall whispers, looking worried. "Like, I might have mixed them up with some other ones, but I'm fairly sure I took them. I mean... Free drugs, right?"

I roll my eyes before I speak. "Right, everybody needs to stay calm-"

"But what will we do when they come for Robert?" Susan gasps. "He took the pills, like they told him, so the injection will just kill him outright."

"Let me think!" I hiss.

Harry holds my hand gently in his and the whole time he's gnawing at his lip, his forehead creased with concern as he stares at Louis. Susan is beginning to freak out, her breathing getting heavier and heavier until it's just a series of whimpering sobs.

Minutes roll by and my mind chases itself down well trodden corridors. The thing that I keep coming back to is taking them by surprise and attacking as they enter the room. I can see literally no other option, but the problem is that a) they're armed and b) we've lost Louis, who is the only one who could probably put up a half decent fight.

For the first time ever, I wish Juan was in the room with us.

I scan the room, looking for a vent or handily crumbling brick, but it's just smooth white walls. There isn't even a window. I'm just trying to think how far into the building we are when things get slightly worse.

There's a heavy groaning from the floor, followed by muttered phrases like 'scurvy cur' and 'boil faced youth'.  Ashna immediately begins to shush him and pin him down.

"You need to keep him quiet!" I whisper. I don't have a plan, I just know that everything will be a hundred times worse if they know that the injection didn't work on Louis.

"I'm trying!" Ashna hisses. "Come on baby, you have to stay quiet! Play dead!"

"Fight me like a fair lady!" Louis slurs, swinging his arm feebly from the ground.

"Hendrix?" Harry says suddenly. "I have an idea!"

"What is it?" I ask warily.

"Maybe we can hypnotise them!" He says eagerly.

"Great idea man!" Niall nods, "I heard about this plant that can turn you into a living zombie. Maybe if we can get hold of some of that-"

I lean forwards and groan into my hands. Unfortunately, my groan doesn't mask Louis' one which is getting louder by the second. He seems to have realised what has happened and is enjoying himself enormously. He's just issuing a loud, dramatic moan when Ashna clamps her hand over his mouth and lowers her face to his so that their noses are touching.