32

"It's officially my nine month birthday today, you know." Harry crosses the day off his kitten calender and turns to me with a smile.

"Wow, you don't look a day over 21!"

Harry looks at me blankly.

"That's because I'm not 21." He says with the air of explaining something to a particularly slow toddler.

"I know-"

"Then why did you say-"

"Just leave it. It doesn't matter." I sigh. I reach over the counter to open the cupboard door. "So what's it gonna be for the 9-month-birthday breakfast then? Eggs and bacon? Toast and marmalade? Actually, I think we've got some of that chocolate cereal you really like at the back of the-"

I'm cut off by the sudden warmth of Harry's body behind me. My back brushes gently against his torso and his hands slip round me, his long fingers brushing across my stomach. Before I can do much more than gasp, he presses a soft kiss to my neck and wraps his arms tighter around me, leaning down to rest his chin on my shoulder.

"Let's go out today." He says, rubbing his nose against my ear.

"Uh-" I suddenly seem to have lost the ability to form coherent sentences. "I have to wait in for Charlie."

Harry pulls away from me suddenly and when I turn around, the sulky pout I've come to associate with Charlie's name is painted on his face.

"Harry." I say warningly.

"Fine." He mutters. Then before he can stop himself he says, "I just don't like him, Hendrix. He likes-"

"He doesn't! Remember I told you about his girlfriend, Laura? Charlie isn't interested in me." This feels like the millionth time we've been over this. 'Look, he's just coming to pick up some coursework."

Harry's sulk lasts until Charlie actually arrives, although I try not to smile when I notice that Harry still gives me the bowl with the most cereal in and makes my coffee in my favourite mug. Harry is just wiping down the counter when Charlie arrives, juggling with several large folders. I invite him to stay for a while but he glances at Harry and mumbles something about having a lot to do.

Charlie flicks through the notes I've made, carefully extracting a few letters I carelessly threw on the coffee table this morning, before smiling over at where Harry is moodily slopping icing over his latest cake.

"That looks great man." Charlie smiles politely. He glances at the picture Harry is using as inspiration and ploughs on bravely. "Ah Harry Potter again... I remember, you're in... What's it called... Huggletruff?"

Harry gives him a withering look.

"I should probably get going." He says after an awkward pause. He shoves my notes into his bag. "Oh hey, I was going to ask if you guys wanted to come to a party on the 23rd." He smiles warmly at Harry. "There's a few of us goin-"

"We're going to a wedding that day." Harry snaps. To my mortification he doesn't even look at Charlie, choosing to stare at his fingernails instead.

"Oh. Maybe another time then mate." Charlie shrugs as his face breaks into one of its easy smiles.

"I'm not your mate." Harry mutters rudely.

"Right. Right-o then... I'll just get going." Charlie gives me a rueful smile. I follow him to the door, issuing apologies, but he cuts me off. "It's fine Rix, don't sweat it. I know he's not my biggest fan." I make several unconvincing sounds that are intended to convey that Harry actually considers Charlie amongst his closest friends, before he leaves.