28

"Harry, I don't think I can wear this." I hold up the dress that he gleefully presented me with the minute I got home. He's cradling Dave in his arms like a baby and they both turn to look at me. Dave looks supremely pissed off at my interference.

"Why not?" He frowns between me and the dress I'm holding up. Dave raises a paw to tap Harry's face but Harry moves his head away and continues to gaze at me in confusion.

"Because," I grit my teeth as I pull the huge, flouncing ball gown from its wrapping paper and hold it up to him. "For a start, it's a neon yellow-"

"Hm, it didn't look that bright in the Ebay picture." He concedes, rubbing his free hand across his chin.

"It's also a ball gown-"

"It's modelled on the one Belle wears in Beauty and the Beast." He says helpfully.

I glance down at the lurid yellow rag and suppress an eye roll.

"Right. Well there's also the matter of you wearing a matching suit-" I point to neon yellow suit, which actually looks annoyingly good on him. "Plus, you haven't even told me where we're going-"

"You said we could go on a date!" He protests. He lowers Dave gently on to the couch and walks towards me.

"Yes, but it's not usual etiquette to present someone with a full ball gown in shocking yellow and not tell them where they're going." I say gently. I stop myself for adding that I can't really trust his judgement. I really, really want this to go smoothly, but Harry's idea of normal and everybody else's idea of normal don't really go hand in hand.

I've never been more sorely tempted to use Harry's inability to lie than I am now, but I can't bring myself to abuse his privacy like that.

He's been so nervous about this date that he hasn't been eating properly. I can see that me refusing to wear the dress has disheartened him. He's trying hard to look causal and cheerful but his lower lip keeps slipping out into a pout. He thinks he's messed up.

I feel like I've just kicked Bambi.

He nods rapidly, his Adam's apple bobbing as he swallows heavily. I can see he's starting to panic.

"I suppose..." I clear my throat. "I suppose I could try it on." I say doubtfully. He face breaks into an utterly relieved smile and as I turn to close the bathroom I see him raise his face to the ceiling and exhale heavily, before covering his lips with his fingers.

I should have arranged the date, I should have showed him how chilled it can be then let him arrange the one after that, he's put so much pressure on himself. I always forget how much stuff he has to learn.

With a sudden jolt I realise that Harry's only concept romance and relationships comes from his favourite Disney films.

I adjust the mirror and step back to see how it looks.

It's rare for my to wear a dress anyway, but this just takes the piss.

I look like a low budget childrens party entertainer. While the dress fits surprisingly well, it looks cheap and tacky. I look completely bloody awful.

Harry doesn't agree.

The moment I step out of the bathroom in my cheap disney princess dress, an odd misty look passes over his face. He stares at me until I start to feel paranoid.

"You look beautiful, Hendrix." He says quietly. His eyes run up and down my body and with an odd jolt, it hits me afresh how handsome he really is. I actually quiver with the way he's looking at me and the surprising strength of my own pull towards him. He's so insanely gorgeous and the brooding way that he's staring at me takes my breath away.