13. He'll Survive

The second that name left my mouth, Benito gave me his keys, told me to get in his car and lock the doors then he took off running into the Book store. I didn't know what to expect, I was afraid for both our lives now. Even though I know Benito can hold his own, I was just scared that something could happen that could land him in the hospital and knowing how stubborn he is, he wouldn't allow me to take him there.

As fast as my legs could move me, I run to his car and lock the doors when I'm inside. I bring my legs up onto the seat and wrap my arms around myself. There was a big chance of me not even making out of the store, but because it seemed like Ricardo came by himself, it was easier to escape him.

Minutes seemed like hours and I was starting to hyperventilate. I know Benito told me to stay in the car by I just need to know if he's okay.

My fingers twitch, wanting to press down on the unlock button but the fear of Ricardo catching me seems to be winning. I can't stop thinking that something might be wrong, what if Benito is hurt? He could be dead by now for all I know and I'm sitting in this stupid car... no, don't think like that Hazel, he is fine. He has to be.

The second I hear a gun shot go off in the distance, I'm climbing out of the car and running back to the store. The mere thought of losing Benito so soon is killing me, I need to know he's okay. Before I enter the store, I stop. I look around to see if they are there but I don't see anyone. My legs feel like jelly as I step in and slowly walk around the store trying to find them.

From the a far I here Benito's voice talking to someone, so I follow it trying not to make any noise.

"Yes I fucking know that! Apuraté y ven por este idiota." Benito says into the phone, as he comes into view.

"Benito?" I whisper so low that I think he didn't hear me.

I walk a little closer as I step into the break room. I gasp in shock when I see the pool of blood on the floor trailing to a lifeless body in the corner.

"Chiquita, I told you to stay in the car." Benito tells me, trying to block my view from Ricardo's bleeding body.

"Wh-what did you do?" I stutter out, finally noticing the blood on his clothes.

It seems like these days that's something I've been seeing a lot of.

"What I should've done the day he threatened to take you away from me." He said, stashing the gun back into the back of his jeans.

I know he did this to save me but I couldn't shake off the feeling that he just killed someone because of me.

"Don't cry baby, I hate seeing you cry." He says using his thumb to whip away my tears.

"H-he's dead because of me."

He shakes his head, cupping my face in his hands. "This is not your fault corazon, he had this coming." He leaves a tender kiss on my forehead. "and he's not dead, I just hit him a little too hard that it knocked him out."

"Pero y toda la sangre? Where did it come from?" I ask, confused. If it was just a couple punches why were there pools of blood?

I look at Benito's slightly bruised yet handsome face, running my thumb over a cut on his upper cheek. He doesn't flinch.

"I shot him... just on the leg." He shrugs. "He'll survive."

My eyes travel back to Ricardo's lifeless, finally spotting the wound on his leg.

"We should probably clean this mess up, before he gains back his consciousness."

"Don't worry about that, the boys will be here any second to clean up the mess." He lets me know, walking me out of the break room and closing the door.