22. Are you kidding me?

I was about finished with drying myself up from the shower, when I heard the front door to my house opening. I quickly slipped on some jean shorts and a white spaghetti strapped cropped shirt and sprinted down stairs, knowing that it was my mom. It felt like it has been a week since I last saw my her when in reality it's only been 3 long days.

Reaching the last stair, I followed her voice into the kitchen.

She turned around giving me a smile, putting her pointer finger up as she tried to hang up the phone. I took a seat in on of the island stools and quietly waited for her to finish her conversation.

When she finally finished the call, she lets out a tired huff and takes a seat next to me.

"Mi bebe preciosa, I feel like I haven't seen you in a lifetime." She says, wrapping her arms around me.

The feeling was mutual. Sometimes a girl just needed her mom. Even if I couldn't tell her what was going on in my life just yet... or maybe never. What mother would let their own daughter date a criminal?

"I missed you mom." I tell her, melting into her arms, as her fingers played with my hair.

"I missed you too mi amor, and I know I have some explaining to do." She pauses. "I promise I will tell you everything."

I was about to shake my head, to tell her it was fine. But that's when I realized she wasn't in her usual scrubs or casual clothes. Instead a brown knitted sweater, jeans and a pair of pumps were adorning her body.

Now I really wanted to know where she was.

"What's going on mom?" I ask, completely inquisitive. "Why are you all dressed up?"

She runs a slightly shaky hand through her hair, standing up from her seat and paces around the kitchen.

"I- um, for the past 2 months I've been seeing someone." She finally says, as she stops on the other side of the island. "I don't know why I've kept it from you, but I don't want to do that anymore..."

"Well it's about time mom! It's been like what? 13 years since dad left?" I say, getting up from the stool. "I'm so happy for you!"

She nervously smiles, her arms crossing over her chest.

"Yeah... about that, you ne-"

"No wonder you look so good!" I cut her off, "you deserve happiness mom."

I walk over to her, wrapping my arms around her.

It was killing me not being able to tell her that I was also dating someone, someone that I knew she would love, if it weren't for the fact that he was the leader of a deadly organization, but I knew it was just something that was better off unsaid.

It seemed that wasn't everything my mom wanted to say, because she looked nervous. But that was all she shared.

"I am really happy, mija." She kisses my forehead. "Happier than I've been in so long."

I smile at her.

She absolutely deserves this, 100 percent. She was the most hard working mother. Working after hours and over night just to make sure we had a roof over our heads and food in the fridge. I don't ever remember why my dad left but I do remember it affecting my mom in the worst way. And if she finally found someone to fill that void and make her happy, then that's all that matters.