28. Unexpected Encounters

I rolled over on the bed as I slowly woke up from what felt like the shortest slumber. Without opening my eyes, my hands reached for Benito but touched a cold, empty bedsheet instead. My eyes quickly flew open as I sat up, looking toward the clock on the nightstand. It was only 8 in the morning on a Sunday and we'd gone back to sleep at 3 am, where was he?

Why wasn't he still in bed with me?

That I hadn't even noticed him getting out of bed showed me that I was deeper in sleep than I thought.

After the nightmare that I didn't even want to remember, I thought it would take me forever to go back to sleep but the second Benito wrapped me up in his arms it wasn't as hard as expected.

I bit my lip, shoving down the slight hurt I felt for waking up without him. Swinging my legs over the bed, I stretch my limbs before standing up.

I headed downstairs, trying to see if I heard any noise that let me know Benito was here but the house was dead silent, so quiet I was able to hear the waves of the ocean splash against the rocks.

When I reached the kitchen, I went straight to the Keurig just to find out that there was coffee already made. I couldn't help my lips from smiling and my stomach from being swarmed with butterflies.

he still remembered to make me some coffee before he left to god knows where.

Turning around, I reach for the cabinets about to get a mug out when a sticky note on the cabinet door catches my eyes.

'I have a few things to take care of but get ready, when I get back I'm taking you on a date mi amor,
-Benito x'

and the butterflies were back.

The slight hurt I had felt earlier quickly disappearing as I read his sweet note. He always found ways to make me feel better and his constant reassurance was always erasing any doubt that I had of this relationship.

Quickly pouring myself a cup of coffee, I sat down on the table scrolling through my phone to make sure I didn't have any missed calls or messages. When the notifications came up empty, I quickly downed my coffee; burning my tongue in the process before getting up and tossing the mug in the sink.

Benito wasn't clear on where he was taking me, or what we were doing so I  opted on keeping it casual and cute with a short flowy white top that was over the shoulder and accentuated my breast nicely and jean shorts. I took my time with my make up as it was still early and I didn't expect him to come back anytime soon.

The incident from last night slowly crept back into my mind, I couldn't shake off the feeling that the man that was standing in the dark was still roaming around. It took everything in me not to reach for my phone and call Benito to make sure he was safe. I know he can take care of himself, and we were miles away from home so I knew it wasn't anything gang related that he was doing.

or was it?

My mind was too clouded by negative thoughts, and I wasn't going to let that ruin my day. I grabbed my phone and my sandals and decided to go for a way outside. The ocean was quite literally our backyard right now so why not take advantage of that.

I grabbed the spare keys on the counter and locked the door behind me.

The small trail that led down to the beach was so calming and refreshing, just what I needed right now. The sound of the waves crashing on the rocks adding a soothing touch to it. I didn't live too far from the beach back home, but for some reason I never found time to drive down there. And now that I had it right in front of me, I was instantly regretting not visiting it more often.