Lay (Moving On)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Lay (Moving On)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

You wiped the tears from your face and fixed yourself. The bruise on your face was still noticeable. You saw this coming; you knew it would come to an end. You shouldn’t have cried.

You parked your car in the front yard and entered the bleak house. Upon opening the door, you shivered as an icy breeze greeted you.

“Welcome home jagiya,” Lay said as cheerfully as he could. You looked at the couch he was sitting on, sighed and went straight to the kitchen. He followed you, his eyes as tired and red as yours.

You grabbed a can of beer from the fridge and felt the cold liquid flow in your mouth. “You know that’s bad for your health, _____.” Lay reminded you. “I really need this right now.” You grunted and finished the beer. The empty can rolled on the floor as you walked out without a care.

“_____...” Lay called out as he followed you upstairs.

When he entered your room, the room the two of you shared nights before the big fight, he saw you with an almost full luggage. You placed the luggage on one side of the bed. Lay sat on the other side, watching you walk around the room collecting your belongings. “_____,” Lay said sadly. You continued gathering your clothes from the closet and throwing them in the luggage. “_____, if you’re leaving because of the fight, I’m sorry. I didn’t mean it…” You turned your back from him as you grabbed your shoes. Lay reached out to you but you recoiled from his touch. “I love you so much, _____. Please don’t leave…” You trembled and shook your head. Lay sighed and sat on the bed, “I’m sorry, _____. If only we didn’t have that stupid fight…”

You closed the luggage and dragged it down to the car.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

As you drove out of the front yard, an elderly woman waved at you. You rolled the window down and waved back; she was your neighbor. You and Lay loved her dearly.

“Is it time already?” Her smile failed to cover the sadness in her voice.

“Yes, Mrs. Yoon.”

She shook her head and cried, “Lay was such a nice guy. I’m sorry if you have to go away, _____.”

You bit your lower lip to prevent the tears from escaping out your eyes. “Thank you for everything, Mrs. Yoon. I’ll visit you from time to time so don’t worry.”

“Yes, that would be nice. And we can visit Lay together.”

You nodded and said goodbye. The drive was long enough for you to remember the recent events that took place. You sighed.

You arriving late from work.

Lay waiting for you every night.

The two of you fighting because of Lay’s jealousy and possessiveness.

Him hitting you out of anger.

You screaming, daring him to do it again.

Him slapping you.

You running out of the house and in to your car.

Him following you in his car, racing dangerously into the streets.

You watching from your rear-view mirror as his car collided with another.

Him getting bloody and limp from the unfortunate mishap.

You holding his hand as he was wheeled to the emergency room.

Him holding your hand tightly, struggling to say how sorry he was.

You letting go of his hand.

You hearing straight from the doctor that he didn’t make it.

You regretting that fight.

You leaving the house the two of you shared.

And now, you driving to the cemetery to say your last goodbye.

You moving on.