Kai (In Other Words)

I’m a fan of Ukulele Picnic! “Fly Me to the Moon” (see media on the side) is one of my favorite covers of theirs. It inspired me to make this imagine :)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Kai (In Other Words)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

“In other words, please be true. In other words, I love you.

In other words, I love you. In other words… I love you…”

You opened your eyes after singing the last line. That was good enough, you said to yourself. You’ve been practicing the song for the nth time. You’re proud to say that you’ve perfected it. Now that I’ve mastered it, I need to do some choreography. You picked up the CD player your adviser lent to you. She’s very kind. She’s the only one who understands you and she’s like a noona to you. You’re not an orphan, goodness no! Your family stayed in the Philippines while you moved here in Korea to study. It gets a little lonely and you miss them a lot. But with your school’s annual contest coming up, they’ve promised to watch you perform. You have to win; you have to make them proud!

Your daydreaming stopped when you noticed that you ended up in front of the gym. You decided to practice inside one of the rooms. How should I start with my choreography? Heck, I don’t even know how to dance. You hummed to yourself and tried to think of dance steps. A few minutes passed, you still looked like an awkward duck trying to dance. You heard someone laugh near the door, “Hey. What are you doing? Some kind of duck dance?”

“W-what are you doing here?”

“The door was open. I heard a sound… turns out it was just you.”

“Go away.”

“Why are you telling me to leave? Do you own this gym?”

Ugh. This guy is very annoying. If he wasn’t tall, you’d stomp him with your foot. He walked in the room, “Do you know who I am?” Of course you know who he is! He’s a popular guy in school who dances well. Girls swoon over his smooth moves and charisma on the dance floor. “You’re Kim Jongin. You join dance competitions in school.” “Whoa! So you watch me perform? You’re one of my fan girls?” “Am not! I just watch dance competitions because I like them!” He laughed at your outburst, “Hahaha! No need to be defensive! What’s your name?” “I’m _____. We’re in the same year. And if you’ll excuse me, I still have to practice.” You pressed the play button on the CD player and the song started. “Pffft! Fly Me to the Moon? Don’t tell me you’re joining the contest, _____?” “I am! I’ve mastered the song. The only problem is my choreography,” your voice trailed off. Jongin smiled, “Want some help?”

Weeks passed. You’ve come to realize that Jongin wasn’t a jerk. He was a sweet guy who helped you with simple but amazing steps. He was patient in teaching you. He was also encouraging – he’d give you praises and comments. Finally on the day of the contest, you were more than ready. You were a simple dress and black heels; and applied a little make-up. You curled your long hair. I look like a model, you smiled. Your mother called a while ago. She said that they were on the way to see you perform. You’re so excited to see them again. A staff told all of the contestants to gather backstage. “Contestant number seven will be the last performer,” you heard him say. Huh? I thought we were only six participants. “Hey, _____!” You looked over to see Jongin wave at you.

Wow. Just wow. He looked amazing in that silver jacket, black shirt and tight jeans.

“Jongin?! I thought you wouldn’t join the contest.” “I said I’ll think about it, remember? Good thing they accepted my last-minute audition.” Your heart sank. You’ll never win now; you don’t stand a chance against him. “Looks like the contest is starting. I better get ready. Good luck, _____!” He took a few steps away but turned back, “You look stunning, by the way.” He winked and walked away. You ignored the fast beating of your heart and decided to practice before your turn. Good thing he didn’t see me blush.

“Contestant number six, _____!” You heard the host call out your name. You held the mic tightly, exhaled deeply and walked to the center of the stage. You saw your family cheering on their seats. The song started and you began to perform. You poured your heart out as you sang, your body swaying to the music as you executed the dance steps flawlessly. The audience was in awe, even the judges were mesmerized. When you finished, the crowd gave you a standing ovation. You almost broke into tears but you bowed and rushed backstage before that happened. You felt a hand on your shoulder, “Good work, _____. That was perfect!” Jongin gave you a smile and you smiled back. “T-thanks! Good luck, Jongin!” He ran to the stage as soon as his name was called. You watch his performance of EXO’s “What is Love”, he sang as good as he danced. His body movements were completely in sync with the music. You heard the girls squeal and scream his name. He is absolutely perfect… You found yourself admiring Jongin.

The winner was about to be announced. All the contestants were called to the stage. You stood next to Jongin and asked, “What made you join at the last minute?” He took a deep breath, “I realize that I needed the prize money.” You raised your eyebrow to his simple answer. “What for?” “Well… there’s this girl. I want to treat her to a special date. I hope she’ll acknowledge my feelings.”

“Oh…” you said sadly, your heart was breaking. “In other words, you love somebody?”

“And the winner is…” the host trailed off, adding a sense of suspense. Jongin held your hand tightly. He smiled and whispered, “In other words, I love you _____.”