Chapter 2: The perfect girl

(Betty's POV) (Be aware that this Chapter may contain self-harm.)

The second I opened my eyes I knew I was having a bad day. "Elizabeth, it's 6 am. You should get up. Breakfast in 10 minutes. Hurry up!" Mum said outside of my room. Her knocking on my door always woke me up. "What a great day already." I unlocked my phone and checked the messages that my friends send me over night.

11:57 pm Chat with Archie Andrews

A: Betts I'm really thinking about asking Veronica out. Any ideas how I could do that?

I rolled my eyes. My best friend and neighbor had laid an eye on my best friend Veronica Lodge since the moment he first saw her in Pop's when she moved here last year. Sadly I knew that she wasn't going to go on a date with him because she was busy hooking up with Cheryl Blossom, the richest and most popular girl of Riverdale. Everyone around me had a great love life. Except for my parents who began to fight these last months because apparently an old love story of my Mum and the leader of the southside serpents, FP Jones, came up. I wasn't really interested in knowing more about the sexual experiences my mother had made before she met my father. I stood up and got dressed. The cute and boring stuff I was always wearing because of my mother who basically forced me to do anything that was related to being the perfect girl next door. I was a cheerleader, I had perfect grades in all subjects. I never did anything bad, never stayed at home from school even if I was sick. Interesting things never happened in my life. My Mum forbad me to go to the southside except for school-related things; I should stay away from the serpents and I should never ever contact the Jones family. That wasn't really adding up for me because my Mum used to be one of the members of the Southside Gang and she dated the leader but most of the time the things she said never made sense to me. Rules are rules and I followed them, slowly breaking inside from always trying my best to impress my mother. About a month ago I got a B in a math test and I was crying and was afraid to go home. When I finally was brave enough to tell my mother she sent me to my room and didn't talk to me for a week. Some people would say that this is emotional abuse but I can't do anything against it...

Coming back to my morning routine I put on my makeup: light pink, nothing much. Cute chapstick and mascara. Then I came down the stairs and ate breakfast with my mother and my sister Polly. "Betty, you're late." She said reproachfully and I felt guilty again. Like I was doing everything wrong. "I promise to be here earlier next time." I said quietly and sat down. Mum put a croissant and butter on my plate. "Not more for you today, you're gaining weight again. You should do more sports! When was the last time I saw you exercising?" My eyes stared at my plate, tears gathering in my eyes. I know I was too fat; that was the thing my family always told me. My friends never said that except for my cousin Cheryl last year but she was being nicer to me now. I nodded and ate my breakfast. My fingernails pressed into my hands and I felt the pain which felt so relieving that I took a deep breath. Now I felt the burning pressure to hurt myself in another way but I was resisting in front of my parents and sister. I smiled and said: "Yesterday, I noticed myself, that's why I used the time last night to study and exercise instead of showing up for dinner." Mum smiled kindly in my direction and nodded. "Good kid. Now you should go to school. Archie called, he's going to wait and walk with you." I said goodbye and left the house. Where the family lived that broke me.

Notes from the author: Hey, it's Maggie again! I already got a little bit of feedback that you like this story and I'm really happy about it. Just like last time: Like, comment and share to hype this story up a bit. I promise you that Betty and Sweetpea will meet each other soon. Have a nice day :)