Chapter 22: good guy

(Sweetpea's POV)

It wasn't easy looking at her like that. I noticed the way she had looked at me. I knew she was thinking about last night and I couldn't help but wonder if she remembered everything I remembered.

I wished she wouldn't. It tortured my mind that I had been finally able to kiss her with her thinking I'm the good guy. I wasn't, I will never be the good guy.

I’ve got blood on my hands, metaphorically at least.

Surprisingly, I wanted to be good. I wanted to remain the good person she saw in me, for her.

"I do think we can love, at least I can," she said, turning her head towards the window. She closed her eyes and I just looked at her.
It was quiet in Pop's, there were just a few people here and it was relaxing to just look at the girl in front of me.

"Will you help me?" I dared to ask.
Her eyes remained focused on the window but she opened them once again.
"How?" she answered after a while.

Betty was looking straight at me now. Her hands were resting on the table, right next to her milkshake. Chocolate. Good choice.

"You could talk to Mr. Lodge, isn't he the father of your best friend Veronica?" I asked.

She laughed but it wasn't genuine. She wasn't happy. "We're not friends."

I remained silent, unsure what to answer.

"I can try, Sweetpea, but I can't promise anything. I might get the price to be lower but I can't change the fact that you need to pay, or that your mum does. What is she working as anyway?" Betty never seemed to let go of that touchy subject in our conversations. She was curious, too curious sometimes.
"She's a slut."
Her eyes widened. "Sweetpea, shhh."

I laughed. "Okay, well she is though. She sleeps with strangers to get money. I don't get why anyone would want to sleep with her though."

That made Betty obviously uncomfortable. Maybe she understood now why I didn't talk about my family. It was embarrassing.

"Alright. Well then, we need to figure out a different method to get money. How about the Serpents?" Betty asked me.

"The Serpents? What do they have to do with the money?"

Betty smiled at me.
"It's a club, right? How about some bets? And a poker game? I love poker."

There were things about her that I would never understand. But at that moment I really started thinking she was interesting.

"Let's do it. You talk to Hiram, I talk to Toni." I answered and grinned at her.

"Fine. Then we'll see each other tomorrow, and don't forget about our project. Bye."

And with that, she left me alone with my thoughts.

That girl clearly was something else. More than I imagined was hidden under the pink-and-blue-perfect-next-door-girl-facade.
I saw how she left Pop's and walked down the streets. Her cute little ass moved and I closed my eyes. The memory of her dancing for me was so clear in my head. I wanted her to do it again, I wanted to do last night again. I needed to kiss her again but I swore to myself I wouldn't. She was getting too close to all the darkness inside me.

She was the light; I was the darkness. I was afraid of crossing the border between good and bad.