Chapter 10: Blushed

(Sweetpea's POV)

When she blushed, I immediately knew I was right. Something about her always seemed mysterious. She was acting like this innocent northside girl but I could sense that something in her was aching to be freed. Maybe it was a kind of darkness, the same one that I have probably.

"I think that's a great idea but I'm not a big fan of pictures of myself." I chuckled and looked to the ground. My slight embarrassment was showing. Many girls think I'm attractive but I don't think I am, even though I would never admit that to anyone. I'm pretending to be the big bad boy because it protects me. No one would dare to fight me or even disagree with me in any way.

"But you are handsome," Betty said, and maybe she didn't think it through because I could see her cheeks flush and she blushed even more. How adorable.

Wait.

Adorable? Did I just call a girl adorable? I think I drank too much last night. Yeah that has to be it. I tried shoving my thoughts away by shaking my head. Her soft and peaceful eyes were focused on me after this action. We were having a silent eye contact battle but after a short time she broke it and I took a deep breath. That was weird and surprisingly funny and intense.

"So, what about your family?" she asked suddenly and I immediately built up a wall of defense.
"What about it?" I snapped at her sharply, my eyes staring into hers.

Family is mostly a big taboo for me. I don't talk about my shitty person of mother who sleeps with ten guys a week in order for us to survive. Well, now only her. She kicked me out when I complained about the chaos in our home. And my dad? I never got to know him and if I'm being honest, I don't want to.

Leaving a child with an unemployed mother is an asshole move. I also got to know that he hit mum. Even though I don't like her at all, I hate him more. It's a passion burning inside me to hate him with all that I am.

I hurt people too but that's my job and I don't know them.

Betty fell silent, probably afraid to ask more.
"My family is none of your business, got it?" I finally answered and turned my head away from her. The anger was building up inside me, trying to jump out. How could she even ask about my family? That is a thing you don't talk about on a first... date? Meeting? Uhm. What exactly are we even doing here?

Betty reached out for my hand, but then decided to just lightly brush it. "It's okay. I understand. You don't have to talk about it," she said quietly.

I am thankful for her understanding but my thoughts are still with mum.

Her touch was soft, she was drawing little circles with her thumb on the back of my hand. Not having touched anyone in while, it triggered a strong sensation in me.

After a few minutes had passed with us only sitting there in silence, I coughed and my hand flinched away from hers. If that upset her then she at least didn't show it.

"I think I should leave now. I'm meeting some friends," I said and my eyes rested on her for maybe a second too long. She blushed again and began to smile.

That smile threw me off guard.