Chapter 5: The start

(Sweetpea's POV)

I looked at Betty one more time. "Okay, if you really need me for this then I'll take some time for you, Ponytail."

She raised an eyebrow, obviously confused about my new nickname for her.

"Should I come over to your place after school?" she asked directly and I answered immediatly.

"No, we are going to your place or Pop's or something."

It would be too exhausting to tell her that I had no home, nowhere to go. No one is supposed to judge me for being homeless, so nobody can know.

"Okay,“ she simply said and I rolled my eyes.

"I gotta go. See ya blondie,“ I said and turned around. Finally I could leave this classroom. I felt relieved when I saw that my best friend Fangs was going in the same direction, so I joined him.

*After school*

The feeling that you get when you ride a motorcycle is like flying. Total freedom. It's like everything is good and you don't have any problems. But if you stop,  take off your helmet and look down on yourself , the reality hits you when you see that you‘ve been wearing the same clothes for almost two weeks by now.

I rested my arm on the motorcycle for a second and took a moment to aprecciate the beautiful sign of Pop's Chock'lit Shoppe.

Then I began walking towards the door and entered the diner. My eyes were searching for Ponytail and as soon as I recognized her blue pastell sweatshirt I came closer to her.

"Hi Blondie. Long time no see,“ I said while I sat down in the booth.

"Hey Sweetpea,“ she answered, beginning to blush.

On the table between us there were papers and posters in different colours and sizes, a lot of crayons and a few other supplies to write things down.

"I am prepared for our assignment, so you don't have to waste too much time on it,“ she said, looking down being her quiet and shy self.

"It's great, Lemon."

Now she was confused again.

"You are making up a lot of nicknames."

I chuckled softly. "Yeah, I'm creative. I like making names, scenarios and stories up."

Betty looked at me and I saw a smile, only until she noticed that I was watching her. She concentrated on her paper again and wrote down the things I said.

"I'm creative as well but I like to use it by writing good articles instead of fictional texts,“ she said.

"What else are character traits you have?" She asked me and her eyes met mine again.

How was I supposed to explain that I liked being mean to people, manipulate others, annoy everyone and be the one that does the bad things that had to be done?

"I... Uhm... I'm friendly."

Betty looked at me and raised her eyebrows. She didn't say anything but she didn't write it down either.

"What? You don't believe me?"

I saw that she got nervous.

"Well you don't seem to be a kindhearted person at first sight,“ she finally admitted.

"You don't know me."

She looked down again.
"Isn't that the point of being friendly? That you don't need to know the person well to notice their kind heart?"

She was right, but what should I have said?