Chapter 31: Autumn

(Sweetpea's POV)

The autumn really had come into Riverdale. It got colder and the more minutes I spent outside, the more I realized how lucky I was that I had been able to sleep at Betty's house. A warm place. A home.

The leaves looked like all colours of the rainbow, all of the world seemed to be so bright today. The sun made her way shining through the trees in the street where Betty lived.

I hopped on my motorcycle and drove through the streets. Some families had started decorating their houses for Halloween while others still had their summer decor outside. Autumn was the season of change.

When I drove into Sunnyside trailer Park, I greeted some of my friends. Most of them were Serpents obviously, others just sympathisants.

Through the dirty windows of my mother's trailer I was already able to see the shadow of her body.
I went inside.
"Good morning, mother," I greeted her.

"You're in a good mood," she answered and smiled at me. Her teeth looked rotten and yellow. She used to be so beautiful but all the drugs, alcohol and partying had ruined her beauty.

"I've got the money," I said and put it on the table. Her eyes went wide open.

"So quickly? How did you do that?"

I tried not to look her in the eyes. "Don't worry. It's legal and not stolen. Just take it and I'll leave again." I was not really in the mood to spend more time with her. I wanted to get some food and then go to school. To see Betty again.

"Alright. I trust you," she said. I nodded. It was a little awkward Just to stand there in silence.
"Do you want to come back?" She suddenly asked.

"What?"

My mother took my hand and implied me to sit down. I did. She didn't let go of my hand.

"I know I kicked you out and I'm sorry. I'm asking if you'd like to come back."

Of course I had considered asking her if I could. This was really no place I would love to live but better than a bench in the park or the Whyte Wyrm.

"Uhm, I don't know," I hestitated. "I complained for a reason. I don't want to see my mother get laid all day."

Mum smiled a little. "That's over for sure. Just look at me. The business is not going good."

I flinched my hands away. She looked disappointed.
"What are you gonna do now? How are we going to pay everything?"

My mother's head turned towards the window. She looked outside dreamingly. "We'll see. Maybe I should start working as a waitress again. I used to do that for years."

I stayed silent.

"Please come back to me, Pea."

She turned back to me and her eyes looked sad. I groaned. "I'll think about it. I'm late for school." I stood up.

"Since when are you going to school?" she asked, raising her eyebrows.

"Since when do you care?" I asked back.

"Touchee. Have a great day."