Chapter 24: the presentation

(Betty's POV)

It was Monday morning. A pretty cold day for September but I enjoyed wearing a sweater again. It had a darker shade of blue with white vertical stripes. My mother usually decided what I could wear and what not because she wanted me to have a good image at school. I had to discuss a lot with her to get me that sweater but I finally convinced her when I got an A in biology. My least favorite class by the way.

However, it was cold and I was walking to school. The leaves on the trees were changing colors, most of them were brown already and I loved it. Autumn really was the best season.

I was listening to music, Shawn Mendes to be exact and I quietly hummed the melody. It was so relaxing. My thoughts drifted off to Sweetpea, the way he had looked at me on his first visit to my home. I thought back to his amazed face when I really had smiled at him.

I wasn't quite sure what I would do about the whole situation if he would ask me about Friday night. Or even Friday morning when he had pushed me against the locker. Everything had changed in only one weekend. He was in my thoughts constantly.

Finally, I arrived at school and greeted some of my classmates with a polite smile. Veronica walked past me without even looking. As ridiculous as it sounded; I missed having a best friend even if it was just her who treated me like shit.

When I was standing in front of my locker, getting my books out of it, I felt a tap on my shoulder. I turned around. "Hey." It was the girl that I met at the Serpent bar, what was her name again? Tonya? Toni? Toni!

"Hey Toni, how may I help you?"
She smiled at me when I asked her that. "Oh, with nothing, I was just wondering if you would like to sit with us at lunch. I figured since you and Sweetpea are kind of friends now, you and I could get to know each other better as well," she told me.

I nodded. He talked about me with her, my heart melted. What did he tell her? Did she know about the kiss?

"I would love to. Sweetpea mentioned us being friends? How kind of him!" The big fat smile on my face was speaking for itself.

Toni chuckled lightly. "Yeah, he's not really open about it though. Speaking of the devil," she mentioned and looked behind me. I tilted my head and saw him. Whenever I saw him my heart started to race. I tried to calm myself down but when he was there it was as if me and him were the only ones in the room.

Our eyes met but he didn't smile. He didn't seem angry either. It was just neutral and I was okay with that. He wasn't that emotional like me.

I said goodbye to Toni and followed Sweetpea into the classroom.

Miss Oldbag entered the room as well and started the lesson. For a few minutes, she just talked about what they did on Friday and how happy she was about the previous presentations.
"Since Betty and Sweetpea weren't with us on Friday, I would like you two to talk about it now. Go ahead!"

Sweetpea and I shared a look and stood up at the same time. I heard some people whispering while we went to the front.

I hung up our poster on the blackboard and gave him a sign to begin.
"Uhm... Today we want to talk about the lives of Betty and me and which differences and similarities we have."
Sweetpea's voice was shaking. I had not expected him to be nervous speaking in front of the class but apparently, he was.

"Sweetpea and I both love to hang out with our friends, it doesn't matter who they are or how we got to know them. Friends are friends and we are close to them." I looked at Sweetpea and in that moment I realized that we were really friends.

I could basically hear his voice in my head, promising that he was my friend too. I locked it in my heart, hoping that he would keep his promise.

"While Betty seems to be all kind and smart all the time, she also can be really fun. And she definitely knows her strengths." His eyes were burning right into my soul. I loved hearing his voice and even more when he talked about me.

"She's a great friend. And a beautiful person." I felt my eyes starting to wet. No one else had ever made me cry by being that nice to me.

"Sweetpea doesn't just see the surface, he knows me by looking at me. He's a great friend as well."

We talked a bit more about our hobbies and the poster itself but this whole time we couldn't stop staring at each other. He smiled, just a small smile for just a second but it made me want him to smile forever. I wanted to see him happy and overall, I wanted to spend more time with him. Not because of the reasons why Veronica starts seeing people, to date them, to get popular, to not be alone. I wanted to know Sweetpea to know him. To laugh with him and to make him smile. This precious damn smile.

The lesson ended soon and Miss Oldbag told us that we did a great job and both got an A. She sent us home and we both went our ways.

I really hoped for him to call me but he didn't after the lunch with the Serpents. Until Friday night.