Chapter 23: Kill me

(Sweetpea's POV)

– at the Whyte Wyrm –
"Sweetpea, hey." I heard Toni's voice and immediately a smile appeared on my face. "Hey," I answered and sat down on one of the chairs in front of the bar. Like usually she was making drinks, her job as a bartender.

Job, wait... Money!

"Toni, may I ask you something?" My question sounded more polite than I usually talked and that's why Toni knew something was up.
"Sure, kiddo," she replied, raising her eyebrow.

"How much money do you get for working as a bartender?"
Toni's face remained confused.
"Eh, buddy, I don't think you can work as a bartender, you hate talking to people. And besides, why are you even asking? Do you need money again? What did you break?" Her voice was full of concern.

"Nothing, it's just that my mom isn't able to pay the bills."
"You don't have to pay bills; FP pays for all the Serpents, you know that." Toni gave me a concerned look.
"FP is in jail, we need to pay on our own."
"Jughead pays, Sweetpea, don't try to fool me. The serpents stick together and we are all paying together. What do you really need the money for?"
I sighed and looked down at my glass of vodka.

"It's none of your business," I replied, giving her the attitude to protect myself. Or protect my mother. Why was I even doing that, she never cared about me at all and neither did I. But this was something else, problems with the Lodges? That's a war everyone has to fight on their own.

"I need a job, Toni, okay? I don't care if it's bartending or serving at Pop's or killing someone." I sighed once more, showing how embarrassed I was about the whole situation.

"Alright, I talk to Tall Boy," Toni answered in defeat and I gave her a small smile.

"Changing the subject, what’s up with you and that Berta girl?" Toni asked me and refilled my glass.

"Her name's Betty and there is nothing going on. We're partners in a school project and I guess we're kind of friends. I don't know, it's weird," I replied and remembered her scent of vanilla perfume and her soft lips moaning my name. Yeah, just a friend, nothing more.

--- meanwhile ---

(Betty's POV)
I was standing in front of the Pembrooke, the Hotel where Veronica and her parents lived. I had not visited in weeks since she and I stopped being friends and she never really liked hanging out at her home.

I rang the bell and Smithers, the servant, opened the door.
"May I help you, Miss Cooper? Veronica isn't at home at the moment," he told me politely.

I smiled at him. "Actually, I am here to talk to Mr. Lodge. Is he available?"

Smithers nodded and let me in. A few minutes later I found myself waiting in the living room.
"Betty." This dark rough voice. Hiram Lodge. Fucking cheater.

"Mr. Lodge. I need to talk to you," I replied, trying to be calm.
His reserved attitude was annoying, it was all fake. Everything in his life. He thought he could buy the world and it would bring him happiness. But the devil will never be happy.

"You've got five minutes, dear," he told me and sat down on the chair, holding a cigar in his hands.

"I know about the sexual intercourse that has happened between you and Sweetpea's mother. And about the stolen egg. She gave it back, right?"

Hiram hesitated before he answered me. "Indeed." Short answers with long meanings. He didn't care about the egg; it was all about getting more money. Ridiculous.

"I need to ask you to lower the price they have to pay. They are poor, Mr. Lodge. They don't live in a big house like we do, they don't have different clothes for every day. Please give them a chance." I told him, as polite as it was possible for me.

"No." What? Did he really not care at all?

"Isn't there any way I could convince you otherwise?" I asked surprised.

"Only if you kill that woman," he laughed.

Murder? My eyes widened. He couldn't be serious, could he?
"Please say you're kidding."

Hiram stopped laughing. "Don't ever ask such stupid thing ever again. Leave now please, will you?"

I nodded, furious inside.
"Goodbye."

This man’s concern should be me killing him one day.