Chapter 18: A one-time thing

(Sweetpea's POV)

Maybe I shouldn't have left but I did because it was the right thing to do. Whatever happened last night, it's over now. A one-time thing.

Usually I wasn't the type of guy making out with a girl and then sleeping with her in the same bed. Most of the time I just made out with them and left when I wasn't in the mood anymore. But with Betty it was different. I wanted to stay; I didn't know why. Maybe because she had a beautiful home unlike me who slept on a bench every night. Maybe because she made me feel needed and important.

I should have stayed away from her because I could feel myself getting a soft spot for her and that was not acceptable.

Now I was sitting at the bar again, sipping on a beer.

"Good Morning to you, grumpy," I heard a voice and turned around to see that it was Toni, entering the Whyte Wyrm.

"Yeah, good morning."

"So, where did you and Betty go yesterday? You just disappeared. Am I to assume you left together?" Toni asked me and raised one eyebrow. She was used to me hanging out with girls a lot, making out with them but most of them were like me. From the wrong side of the tracks, without a future. Betty therefore was completely different.

"Uhm," I mumbled. "Actually yes, we did leave together and then she felt sick so I brought her home. Her bike is still here." Toni just nodded at my answer and got back to her work, leaving me alone in my thoughts again.

Even though the bar was pretty empty, there were two dancers and since I didn't have another thing to do, I decided to watch them. They were great dancers but after I had seen Betty dance, I couldn't enjoy it as much. God, I really need stop thinking about her, this can't be happening.

"Sweetpea?," Toni’s voice made me focus again after I had been drifting off thinking about Betty. I looked at her. "Uhm, I don't know how to say that but your mom was here."

I felt the color fading away from my face. My mother was definitely a sensitive topic. "Why?" I said through my teeth. The blood inside me was boiling. I hated this woman. I hated my mother for kicking me out because I started to complain about her mess of a life.

"She said that she wants you to come back home," Toni's voice sounded nervous as though she was scared of my reaction. Fair point, I was angry at my mother and I couldn't promise not to hurt anyone.

"Are you okay?" she asked me after I had not answered for some time.
"Yeah, just trying to figure out if I'm really gonna go home."
Toni nodded and smiled at me. "Whatever is happening, I'm here for you. Always."

Toni always was one of my best friends. In the beginning I thought we were going to date sometime in the future but one day she told me that I'm not her type and I accepted it. So we had just stayed friends.

"I'll go home and talk to mum I think."
I emptied my beer and then left the Whyte Wyrm.