Chapter 26: Games

(Sweetpea's POV)

I knew this was all just an act but I couldn't help thinking about this as a real date.
I've told Betty a thousand times that we were strictly platonic, but still a part of me was wondering if we could ever be more.
There was something about this girl that made her so interesting. The way she saw things so differently, the way she smiled and laughed. The way she acted in different situations, always the opposite of what I would have done. Her braveness and the darkness inside her. She was a stone-cold bitch but also a shy butterfly.
I was dressed in a white shirt and black jeans, which I had borrowed from Fangs, my best friend. He was the only one who knew that I was homeless and he supported me and always tried to give me food and sometimes even his couch to sleep on when his Dad was gone for a few days.

The doorbell rang very softly, so sweet that it fit perfectly to the Cooper family.
After a few seconds, Betty opened the door. She looked incredible, wearing a black and white striped dress which barely covered her knees and black tights. I felt my temperature rise because she was so attractive.

"Sweetpea, I'm glad you're here. Let me just quickly grab my purse, okay?" she said, winking at me before going back inside, leaving the door open. Her house was so full of light, just like her. I saw her mum and she politely waved at me. I tried to smile at her.

Betty finally came back and said goodbye to her parents. Then she recognized my motorcycle. "That thing again," she sighed and hesitantly climbed on it. Her arms reached out and she held on to me. I enjoyed that feeling for a second – I had really missed her touch – and then I started driving.

This girl changed me into another person. I used to crave blood and pain of others and now I'm here sitting with a girl on my motorcycle, enjoying her touch and craving her lips on mine.

Suddenly I felt my phone vibrating. I drove to the side of the road and stopped. "Hello?", I said, holding my phone to my ear.

"We’ve got a job for you." It was him. The one who always gave me the jobs. The one who gave me the permission to hurt and kill.

Betty looked confusedly at me and I bit my lip. "Right now is not a good time."

"You've never bailed on me before."

My decision was made in a heartbeat. "Not today. We're going to the casino night at the WW."

Betty bit her lip and I recognized her shaking a little. Maybe she was cold. Without thinking about it I took off my jacket and gave it to her. She blushed and took it.

"Fine, Sweetpea. When can you work again?"

"I don't know. Maybe tomorrow? At noon?" I told him. "Yup." Then he hung up.

Betty stared at me. She looked adorable with my jacket on her. I needed to put it on again so I could drive, but she looked so cute.
Damnit.
"Do you want your jacket back?" she asked but I shook my head. "Nah, I'm good," I told her.

We got back on the motorcycle and after a few minutes, I was already freezing because it was so cold, driving with only a T-Shirt in September, especially today where the temperature was pretty low.

The only thing giving me warmth was Betty. Her sweet little arms held me tight and kept my back warm.

Soon we arrived at the Whyte Wyrm and I heard loud noises, so I figured many people actually came here.

"Game on," Betty said and gave me my jacket back. Right in front of the door she stopped and turned around to me. "I still want to become a serpent, by the way. So that means I have to do the dance, right?" I nodded.

"Betty, I'm not supporting this. You have a family." Her green eyes seemed so much colder instantly. "Yeah. The perfect dollhouse. None of your business." Then she turned back around and we entered the Whyte Wyrm.

"How much money do you need?", she asked me. "As much as I can get." She nodded and searched the place for the poker game. Then she found it and sat down. While she started playing, I got us both a drink and Toni grinned at me at the bar. "Here again with your little princess?" I groaned. "You're annoying, you know?" She laughed and handed me the two glasses. I went back to the poker table and placed Betty's drink next to her.

She seemed concentrated. Entirely focused on this game that I didn't understand. "I'm all in."

The others at the table looked at her confusedly. One man told her that it would be really risky to do that now. Another followed her move and put all of his chips in the middle of the table as well. Then they turned the cards around for everyone to see. Betty had won apparently because she smiled while others seemed upset. "How much money did you just win?" I asked her quietly. "Not enough. But I always win that game." She winked at me. How hot can a girl be?

After a few more rounds Betty got all her cash and stood up. "It was nice playing with you. But I've got to do something else now. Have fun." She put the money in her purse and gave it to me. "I need to change. Hold that for me." Then she went away.

I opened the purse and almost let it fall to the ground. So much money. That just had to be enough to pay Hiram Lodge, that asshole.

Suddenly all the lights except for one above the stage went off. Music started playing.

Someone went onto the stage; I assumed it was a stripper based on her clothing. Then her face got into my sight.

Betty.