Chapter 19: Mommy issues

(Sweetpea's POV)

With every step I took towards my old home, I swirled up some leaves. Fall was starting to show itself by coloring the world with red, yellow and brown leaves.

My lungs tightened while I observed the door of the trailer. It wasn't beautiful, the old green color crumbled away with over time. My mother had never cared to make it look beautiful. The same with our lives. It was always just living every day as it came, having fun. Surviving.

The anger inside me was already boiling, I hated that woman with passion. Then I saw her black curls through the window of the trailer. Apparently, she was reading something because her eyes were focused on a white paper laying on the table.
I couldn't really make out her emotion but she didn't seem happy, though she never had since I was born.

Now I was standing right in front of the door and I put my hand in a fist and knocked on the door.

It felt like the moment froze when she opened that door, staring at me. Her black curls were natural falling down, almost reaching her waist.

"Sweetpea." Her voice sounded throaty. "Come in."

Without saying a word I quickly followed her inside. It was warmer there at least, even though I had to be around her to enjoy the warmth.

"How have you been, darling?" she asked me and sat down on one of the plastic chairs we had in the kitchen.

"Nah mother, we're not doing this. Just tell me why you wanted to see me and then I’ll leave. It better be urgent."

She looked at me but I didn’t understand her expression. "Okay, fine," my mother sighed and gave me the letter that she was reading earlier.

I quickly skimmed through the text. "4000 dollars? Are you serious?"

She covered her face with her hands and I heard her sob quietly. I smashed the letter on the table. "I know you are sleeping around with basically everyone in this stupid town but did you really had to screw Hiram Lodge and then steal his stuff? Mother, we never had enough money to get out of this trailer. Why did you do that?" I was screaming at her. Now she even ruined the last remaining piece of our life.

"You know what? Do this on your own. You slept with him; you stole this shit. I have nothing to do with you nor this thing. And I'm also not even living here anymore. So why the hell should I even think about helping you?"

My mother's eyes were already red from crying and I saw the mascara running down her cheeks.
"Because you're my son, Sweetpea. I raised you."

Now I was laughing. "Raised me? I raised myself. Fangs raised me, Toni raised me. Hell, even Toni's grandpa raised me. But you? You just ruined everything I had in my life, and I already had nothing. You do this on your own. Stop trying to contact me."

And without letting her answer me, I rushed out of the trailer furiously.