Chapter 33: Garbage

(Sweetpea's POV)

The relief I felt when I saw Betty warmed up my whole body. For a second I forgot why I was even there and just stared at her.
Her and Toni looked equally confused, Betty raising an eyebrow at him.

"I'll explain later." I was a little out of breath because I wanted to find Betty.

"Okay, but I just need to drop off these books in my locker," Betty answered me and started walking down the hall.
I quickly followed her and grabbed her arm.
"No. You can't. We need to go now."

Betty flinched and rolled her eyes.
"I'm not letting you tell me what I can do and when," she answered and I shook my head.

"Betty, I don't want to control you but really, it's for your own good." I sighed and looked into her eyes. I was trying to put all my feelings for her in that look. I saw that she was thinking about it. A moment too long.

A classmate of us started yelling at Betty. "You southside hoe. How about you leave the school with your garbage boyfriend? And also, you should go to your locker because the principal won't be happy to see that mess," and ran away.

Betty seemed paralyzed for a second. "What is he talking about?" she suddenly asked. I shifted a little. "That's why I wanted you to get out of here as soon as possible."
I let go of her arm.

"I'm asking you what he is talking about. Answer me." Betty wanted the truth. I sighed. "Someone put 'Southside Slut' on your locker with Spray paint. These people are assholes. Don't listen to them!"

I hated that she gets hurt because of me. That people hate her because of me. She is such an innocent soul and she deserves all the happiness in the world. Why would I ruin that?

I looked down on my shoes. Then I felt Betty's soft hand on my cheek. "This is not your fault. Don't let them talk badly about us."

About us. Us.
I looked back into her face and smiled a little. She still looked a little shocked but somehow confident.

We walked to her locker, Toni and some other Serpents following us. The scene was shielded by a bunch of onlookers taking pictures who only backed off when they saw we were drawing closer. The words were now fully visible.

Betty and I were holding each other's hands. I don't know when we started doing it but it felt good. Slowly we started to clean everything up with a deafening silence.

When we walked out of the school the Serpents formed a circle around Betty and me as a protection without us having to ask. Everyone who gave us a strange look, got a death glare back and so we finally got outside.

I drove Betty home and again we were standing in front of her house. "Can you come inside with me?" she asked and I hesitated. "I told my Mum about you. And I certainly don't want to be alone right now. Being confident is exhausting." Betty yawned.

She talked to her parents about me? And given the reaction it wasn't too bad. I smiled and tucked a streak of her hair behind her ear. She blushed.

We went upstairs. Her parents weren't home yet so we were alone.
In her room we just lay down on the bed. We were both quiet.

Today was a lot to take in. Why would someone do that? Who is that person and can I fucking kill them? I hate that someone hurt her. Betty talked about us as an 'us' and that made me feel so good.

We both just stared at the ceiling. Our hands were so close yet not touching. But I felt drawn to her, to touch her in any way. Her breathing was steady.

"Garbage boyfriend?" Betty broke the silence. "I think you're pretty great."
We both turned our heads at the same time to see each other.

Usually I'm not the guy to smile but with her it's so different.
My hand moved a little and brushed hers. We are staring into each other’s eyes.

I could basically feel the tension between us. "So are you. And I'm so proud that you were so confident today. It suits you. You're so strong," I whisper just loud enough that she can hear.

In her eyes there were so many feelings. She was proud and confident, also a little confused like she always was.

We continued to lie there. After a while we really held hands and soon after that, she fell asleep. And I watched her. The most beautiful human being. The way her nostrils moved when she breathes. The way her eyelids flutter.

Then I tucked her in and lay down next to her again. And hesitantly I pulled her into my arms. Because I missed that feeling more than anything.

I'm her garbage boyfriend.