Chapter Seventeen: The Ring

I wake up with numbness surrounding my entire body. I feel a thick crust on my eyes, hindering me from opening. But I feel warm, really warm. I thought I fell asleep with just my jacket, but I guess Loki must have covered me up.

I stretch, getting tangled in all the covers. Might as well get up if my brains awake. I open my eyes and stare up at the ceiling, running my fingers through my hair, trying desperately to get the feeling in my arms back.

My eyes wander and lock onto his back. Loki stands by the window, in the perfect position to look out it, and contemplate life. He has no expression, but there's something in his body language that is telling me something.

"About time you wake up," he says, turning back towards the window.

"What time is it?" I ask, my morning voice gravelly as always.

"Late," he replies shortly.

Okay, guess someones ticked.

I try to untangle myself from the sheets and it takes me about three minutes. I stretch again, my back popping. I catch Loki glancing at me, but he only rolls his eyes and turns back to the window.
I decide to let it go, I never know what's going on in his head and I probably never will, so I won't worry too much about it.

I grab my duffle bag and head into the bathroom. I take out my clothes for the day and get into the shower. My legs are still numb but my chest, there's a feeling that makes it tighten. I don't know what it is.

I decide that I should probably shower because its been a good week since I have. The cold water makes me shiver but its nice against my hot body.

I know what you might be thinking. Why haven't I thought about yesterday. The truth is, I can't manage to wipe the face of terror on April.

I shake my head and brush through my hair. April has Peter, he'll comfort her. She'll probably go running into his arms. Either that... or she'll cut everyone off entirely.

My phone buzzes, dancing around on the bathroom counter, its the thirtieth call from April. I press the off button and the buzzing stops. But I watch the picture on the screen. It's April laughing, she hates this picture, says her laugh is the worst.

Part of me wonders if I'll ever see her like that again, so pure, so convinced that I'm a good person and that the world is so pure. Will she ever trust me again? Will I ever see her laugh like this?

The other part of me thinks this is for the best. Our disagreement won't be fixed easily and it'll save both of us trouble if we just call it quits. I just have to let her go, let her have her own life and me, mine. And maybe someday we'll be reunited and be able to smooth things over. But I don't hold out much hope.

I turn the phone over with a clap. I can't think about those kinds of things. You'd think it was my first time running away by how I'm letting myself get so caught up in my emotions. It's not.

I finish getting ready and look at myself in the foggy mirror. I have on a simple black T and jeans. I didn't have time to pack my wardrobe.

I step out of the bathroom, loving the feeling of cold, fresh air.

I look around for Loki but I don't see him.

"Loki?" I ask.

"I'm here," he replies. He's in the doorway, just walking in.

"Where did you go?" I ask. I look at him, he's got on black jeans that fit him nicely and a black suit shirt that's not tucked in.

"Well, I got tired of waiting for you so I assumed we'd need food," he says, holding up the grocery bags in his hands. He locks the door behind him and puts them on the dresser.