Part 14

Slowly yet consistently weeks past and before anyone knew it, a moth has passed since Luke explained everything to Alice. Later the same day she told Ashton and Calum basically word for word what Luke said and Calum seemed pretty pissed off at Ashton for never telling him that his story was just a suspicion. Ashton, however, still saw Luke the same and hated him while Calum actually talked to him every once in a while. Since he talked to Alice, Luke left his 'lunch friends' and went back to being a loner.  He didn't mind it tho.

So after a moth of not talking, Luke got a phone call one night. It was Alice. He picked up immediately and heard her panicking. She started blabbing all kind of nonsense and it was obvious she was having a big panic attack on top of being majorly depressed. He drove to her place without hesitation and found her sitting in the bathroom, razor to her hand, shaking uncontrollably. He took the razor out of her hand before she was able to cut herself and hugged her, telling her to calm down. The house was empty and quiet and the only thing that you could hear were Alice's panicked sobs.

"Shhh Ali calm down. I'm here now. You'll alright."

Luke kissed the top of her head as she cried and breathed fast and deep. After quite some time, her breathing started slowing down and her heartbeat slowed down to almost the normal speed. Her panic attack was over but she still felt broken.

"Now can you tell me what happened?"

Luke asked while whipping the tears from her face and looking into her bright green eyes. She nodded slowly, then inhaled and exhaled so that her voice came back.

"I had a fight with my parents. It started over something stupid but then my mom started saying all thee horrible things-"

Her voice broke at the memory of all the things her mom said and tears ran from her eyes once again. Luke patiently whipped them away and hugged her tight and she started speaking again, felling safe in his arms.

"She said that no wonder Michael rather died then spend more time with me, and then she said that I'm never gonna be anything cause I am too fucked up to get out of it. Then she said that I'm an embarrassment to the family and that she didn't ever care if I was gone and then she umm-"

Alice took a deep breath to prevent herself from crying again.

"Then she said that maybe everyone would be better off if I was dead cause I already look like a walking corpse and I will never get better."

Luke couldn't believe what he was hearing. He couldn't believe a parent could say something like that to his own child. And what's ever worse, he couldn't believe that Alice believed it. He understood that she had no intention of cutting herself with that razor, She was planning on killing herself. He squeezed her closer to his body, wanting to protect her from everyone bad in the world. He decided that from that point on, he wasn't gonna let her leave his side, no matter what. He was going to be there for her no matter the cost.

Alice actually felt safe in Luke's arms. She missed his hugs so much and without him telling her that she needs to live and that she is important, she felt worthless because that was what everyone had been making her feel. It was horrible but without Luke, she had no will to live so comitting suicide wasn't really that hard of a choice for her. All tho as soon as she called Luke, she started hesitating and as soon as Luke showed up she knew she couldn't do it. Not when he cared about her. She couldn't bear the thought of hurting him with her death.

Later that night, Luke slept over and Alice slept in his arms. She was mentally exhausted and fell asleep easily while Luke stayed up all night, worrying about her. As soon as they woke up, Luke started checking if she felt okay. Alice assured him she felt fine.

"So why'd you call me?"

"What do you mean?"

"I mean why me. Why not Calum or Ashton. I thought they were your friends and well, we haven't really been that close now."

Alice was taken by surprise at the question but soon knew the answer to it. She looked into his beautiful blue eyes as she answered.

"I guess I knew that neither of them could really stop me from what I was abut to do and I knew that the only one that could change my mind was you. I guess I didn't want to die."

Luke nodded. It was horrible but at the same time he was kind of honored that he was the one that made her not want to die. Not Calum. Not Ashton. But him. He leaned in and their lips met once again. It was a beautiful, long lasting kiss that left both of them speechless for awhile.

"I really like you Alice. And I know we can't be together because of various reasons, but I need you to know that I will do everything to help you. If you ever need me, just call if I'm not there. I am never leaving your side ever again no matter what. I'm gonna help you. And not because I feel like I owe it to Mike or because I would feel like Mike would want me to but because you are the most special human being I have ever met and if there is anyone in this world that deserves to live, that's you. I will always be there for you. I promise."

The way Luke looked at her while telling her that made Alice's stomach fill up with butterflys. He was such a sweet guy and Alice really liked him too, but he was right. If they were together, they would have to face too many obsticales and neither of them had the mental state to face with them so their relationship had to stay private. Between them. She kissed him.

"I really like you too. A lot. And I am really happy that you think I am worth saving."

"Not just that you are worth saving. You are worth everything and I'm gonna make you realize that."

With that they shared yet another intimate kiss.