Part 16

Days soon went by and it was time for the final exams. Alice was freaking out while Luke seemed like he didn't give a fuck about it. They were at his house when the doorbell rang. Luke stood up and walked over to the door. There stood Calum with books in his hands.

"Can I join the study session?"

Luke didn't believe Calum, but let him in after Calum gave him an honest pleading look. As Alice looked up to see who was there, she jumped into his arms. Ever since her and Luke got back to being friends, she didn't spend much time with Calum and she missed him. He was like a brother to her.

"How are you? I haven't talked to you in ages."

"Stressed but fine. I know, sounds confusing and weird but it's how I feel I guess. Luke just seems so chill all the time and it's calming my nerves down."

Calum laughed and looked over to Luke, who was casually playing some cords on his guitar.

"Oh sweet I forgot that you play guitar."

Luke stopped playing and Calum sat down next to him.

"Yeah I play. And I've been teaching Ali how to play too."

Calum gave Alice an amused look. He remembered all too well how horrific it went when Mike tried teaching her. She laughed and laid down on the bed.

"Don't look at me like that. I'm doing good this time."

Calum laughed as Luke let out a small chuckle.

"Dickheads."

Alice said as she rolled her eyes and started solving some math equation.

"You know, it was always Michael's dream to be in a band and as soon as he explained the idea to me, I loved it. It kind off became what I want as well."

"Yeah Ali told me about Michael and his dreams."

Calum stayed quiet and looked at Alice. He was still worried about her. He never stopped being worried after Mike died. He knew she loved him more then anything and he also knew he was her reason to live, so after he died, Calum got seriously worried. First week or so he couldn't even think properly which led to Alice almost dying so he came to his senses but as he saw, Alice found a replacement for Mike. Luke was a good guy, no matter his past and no matter what Ashton said. He cared about Alice and gave her a new will to live while also keeping Mike in her heart. It was like Luke was Michael 2.0 and Calum didn't mind it one bit. Luke probably didn't know this, but in Calum's eyes, he was very similar to Mike. Not just in character but also in interests and the way he acted around Alice. The last thing made Calum truly happy.

Alice rose her look.

"What are you thinking Cal?"

Luke laughed and Calum just shrugged the thought train aside.

"Nothing. Just about the band, you know? Mike wanted to be in a band so much that he made me want to be in a band and now that he's-"

"Dead. Now that he's dead what?"

Calum didn't want to say that but it seemed like Alice got used to saying it.

"Yeah, now it's just me and those dreams you know? Like he planted them into my head and now they're there and I don't have a band."

"I get it. But you could have a band you know."

"Really? And who do you propose to be in a band with me?"

This conversation was going into an interesting direction for Calum. He wanted to be in a band, not only for himself but also for Mike. He wanted it so badly and he died before achieving it and Calum just felt like it was some kind of duty of his to try and succeed with his dream.

"Well you have you on the bass, then Ash on the drums and Luke on the guitar."

Luke wasn't paying much attention to the conversation. That was until his name was brought in it.

"What are you two talking about?"

"Forming a band. You and Cal and Ash."

Luke looked at Calum who seemed intrigued by the idea.

"Either of you thought about the fact that Ashton hates my guts?"

"He'll get pass that. For Michael."

Luke looked at the floor. He knew this was Michael's dream and it didn't seem fair to him that he was the one living it. He had Michael's girlfriend and he had one of his trusted friends. He basically took over his spot at keeping Alice alive and now he was supposed to take his dreams of being in a band with Calum and Ashton? Luke was not for that idea at all. Some things were just supposed to be left alone.

"I don't know. It was Mike's dream, not mine. It doesn't feel fair me living it."

Alice looked at Luke's truthful expression. She got where he was coming from. She really did. But somehow she knew Mike would want this. So she walked over to Luke and sat in his lap.

"Listen Luke, I know what you mean. It feels like, to you, that you have taken over Mike's life and that he wouldn't want that but trust me on this, he would. He would love to see all of his dreams come true with or without him. He wanted this life, not only for him but for his best friends as well and he wouldn't want his dreams dying with him. "

Calum wanted to add something, but there was nothing left to be said. Alice said it all. If there was one thing Michael wanted besides Alice, was that his dreams wouldn't die with him. He wanted his soul and mind to live long after his body stopped working. He wanted to inspire and share his dreams and goals and if there was anything he would want in this situation, it would be for his former best friend to join forces with his two other best friends and make a killer punk rock band.

Luke looked into Alice's eyes and for a moment it seemed like he was actually watching into Michael's eyes again. There was this spark and this determination in her eyes that he  only ever saw in Mike's eyes before. And that was enough to convince him to agree to this crazy idea.

"Okay. Then count me in."

Alice kissed him in the burst of happiness and Calum almost choked but then they all busted out laughing.

~flashback~

"Mike do you really think we can get somewhere with this band? I mean we're just three kids playing. What makes us any different then all of the other wanna be's  out there?"

Calum was skeptical about this whole idea the entire time it was forming. They were just three boys. How could they possibly make their dreams come true?

"You've gotta have faith Calum. No great musician ever became great by doubting his success. They all believed in themselves and if they didn't, they took a leap of faith so trust me on this, you either gain fame or experience. You can not fail by trying. You can only fail by not trying."

~end o flashback~

Those were the words Calum remembered in that precise moment. He saw Alice hugging Luke and Luke holding her close and smiling and all tho neither of them all knew how this idea was going to turn out, ther were willing to try because just like Michael said. You can not fail by trying. You can only fail by not trying.