Chapter XVI: More Than Meets The Eye

Tia shoved open the temple's door and scrambled to Velvet and Avernus' side along with the rest of the group. Their worrying face darted from Avernus to Velvet and then to the broken and burning woods behind them.

"What happened?" Tia asked. Her hands were charged with magic, and Rokurou's fingers were on the handle of his short blades.

"It was nothing," Velvet peeked over the corner of her eyes at Avernus' smug expression, waiting for his response and hoping he would acknowledge her.

"Velvet's right. I thought I saw a daemon lurking behind the trees, but there was none."

Tia raised a brow in doubt and, after a few moments of staring at Avernus, cooled down her magic.

Laphicet came to their side, having a large book in his hands. "This is the book we found in the villa. The sigil of Artorius' malak is the same as the cover, but I can't read it."

Avernus noticed it too. "It's the Innominat's symbol." He took the book and flipped the cover, going through all pages slowly. Soft sighing kept coming out of him as he turned over each page in disappointment. "If I could just read these ancient Avarostian." He offered the book back to Laphicet. "Sorry, kid. I can't read it either."

Magilou suddenly jumped between them. "Okay, enough with useless pleasantry trading. The thing is, we must not forget misusing objects is different from misusing a person!"

"What is your point?" Velvet asked.

"Hmph. What's your point is what I want to know," Magilou pointed an accusing finger at Velvet. "You blew the whole revenge thing by trying to kill the Shepherd by yourself and not get help from Avernus, who at least had a chance to leave a scratch and, now we're stranded on who-knows-where. Do you guys have any plan on where to go from here?"

There was truth in Magilou's words. Velvet dodged her demise barely. "I'll admit it. Innominat's power is far beyond what I could ever have imagined. But I will never give up. No matter how many times I have to try, I will devour them all."

"I won't do any devouring, but I'm in it till the Artorius falls and with it, the Abbey," Avernus added.

Magilou ambled to Avernus' side and snapped her finger, "I bet you 100 gald Velvet break first."

Avernus groaned, narrowing his eyes slightly at Magilou.

"You all heard me," Magilou said. "One hundred gald says that Velvet gives up. I lost a bet with Rokurou when she had to survive, and it cost me 10 gald. I just want to always be on top at the end."

Avernus nodded confidently. "I accept your challenge. I hope you're ready to lose for the second time."

Avernus' support and trust in Velvet both bothered and appreciated her at the same time. After all, he and Laphicet were the only ones who had her back.

"Whatever." Velvet shrugged, ignoring them.

Magilou clapped, walking away cheerfully. "Then it looks like we have a bet! There might be some fun in me sticking around after all!" Magilou then took a glimpse at the book in Avernus' hand, "Don't cry, you baby boys! My friend Grimoirh might be of help to decipher that for you."

"Grimoirh? That Normin woman who sounds wise and refined?" Avernus asked.

Magilou's expression became blank, and she squinted at Avernus, "How in the world do you know Grimoirh?!"

"I saved her a long time ago from some blood wolves. That's it."

"Can she decipher Avarost?" Laphicet wondered.