Chapter XVII: Sword of Annihilation

Avernus scanned the area for the daemon, but he had vanished without a trace. Avernus sensed a wave of malevolence, trailing toward the road.

Eizen turned to Rokurou. "Do you know that daemon?"

Rokurou, now calm and in control with his demonic eyes dimmed, shook his head. "No, but I know the sword he was using. It was a blade called Stormquel."

Magilou moved closer to Rokurou, her mind speculating about the sword's name.

Avernus checked Laphicet for any visible distress or injuries."Are you okay, Laphicet?"

The little malak slowly nodded in confirmation.

Velvet gave Rokurou a stink eye. "Whatever the sword and that daemon have nothing to do with our goal. Just get to the port already."

A plan that everyone agreed to after that awkward and bizarre confrontation. Avernus was the only one who didn't put away his weapon, still wary that the daemon swordsman would probably ambush them.

Rokurou approached Laphicet and lowered his voice, face all sober. "Laphicet, I'm sorry about what happened back there."

Laphicet glanced at him innocently from the corner of his eyes, still filled with uncertainty. "I thought you were going to get killed."

"I know. You were just doing what you thought was right at that moment. It was partially my fault because I didn't give you a clear enough warning to stay out of it. If it ever happens again, I will give you a decent warning."

Laphicet was still not convinced, still confused about his hasty reaction. "You really don't want me to help? Even if your life is at risk?"

"Yes." Rokurou bluntly said.

"But Why?" Laphicet insisted.

Rokurou dropped his shoulders, "To tell the truth, I don't know. There's someone out there I need to defeat by my own hand." Rokurou was suddenly fired up, eyes beaming with anticipation, "I want to strike him down. I want to defeat him. But to achieve that, I need to be a better swordsman."

"Someone, you have to defeat?" Laphicet asked.

"In a swordfight, yes. And I will do anything to ensure that I triumph over him in the end. I don't care how much it costs me, life, my body... hell, even my soul, I will gladly pay it." He then smirked, "Those feelings have been so central to me for so long... I lost my very humanity somewhere along the way. Beating him is more important than life."

Rokurou leaned over Laphicet with gratitude behind his smile, "But still, I owe you for saving me back there! There is no point in defeating my opponent if I'm dead!"

Eleanor hurried to Rokurou's side as Laphicet left for Velvet's side, "Is that how you thank someone for saving your life!?"

"What is it with you? I'm just honest with the little guy. And no offence, but why do you even care?" Rokurou wondered.

"It baffles me that you don't even think it is disrespectful! You truly are a daemon."

Rokurou raised his chest proudly. "Yes, this is what I'm, a big bad old daemon."

As Rokurou was looking satisfied with himself, Avernus placed a firm hand on his shoulder and felt his threatening glare as he turned. "Raise your hand, draw your swords, look at Laphicet the wrong way," Avernus's grip tightened. "And I'll kill you."

Eleanor observed their interaction with great interest. The passion and care Avernus showed for Laphicet were plain and clear from the moment they met face to face. But she couldn't get over the fact that why an average human and, most importantly, a Shepherd would be on the side of daemons and pirates.