five : 'cause friday's will always be better than sundays

tyler was skateboarding again even when the doctor said he shouldn't. a phone was pressed to his ear as he skated softly at the bottom of the course.

"tyler, where are you?" max and he sounded angry, yet concerned.

"i'm at the course" tyler didn't lie because if he was being honest, he didn't really care about the consequences.

max had tucked him in bed like some toddler and made tyler promise he was going to take care of himself. tyler snuck out though and he went over the fence of the course, there he was, alone with the only sounds being his wheels and crickets. the sky was littered with stars.

"you're at the --- god dammit tyler, did you not hear what doctor harris said? you're supposed to rest and stay hydrated. you can't just go sneaking off to the course in the middle of the night!" and max's voice was dripping with frustration but tyler didn't understand. he was just doing what made him happy and max said that was all that mattered: his happiness.

"why not?" his voice was breathy, and he recognized that he was tired because he'd been going up and down the course for a few hours.

"listen tyler" max sighed and tyler could picture him frowning and rubbing his fingers on his forehead. he always did it when tyler did something bad. "i paid a lot of money for those hospital bills and i just... i would greatly appreciate it if you didn't do anything else that would make you or anyone of us go back there. we're running low on cash and you're gonna have to find a job soon, okay kid? the doctor said you should rest and i want you home right now in your bed, you understand? it's almost three a.m and you could get mugged or something, just come home quick okay?"

"okay" tyler whispered, bringing his skates to a halt and letting his legs give way and falling to the concrete ground.

he wasn't crying, but his heart was. he thought, believed that all he did was let down his family. his parents, jay, max, madison, even cheetah because there was a time he went two entire days without feeding her because of his problems, lucky that madison did.

"i'm sorry. i'm so sorry" his voice broke as he choked out apologies into his hands. tears were streaming down his face but that was okay, because the only time tyler could cry was when he was alone.

but tyler didn't go home that night and even though his phone kept lighting up with calls and texts from max, tyler didn't answer. he knew max wasn't going to come for him because he couldn't leave madison all alone at home and he couldn't bring her with him into the dead of the night to look for tyler.

so it didn't really hurt too much when tyler's phone stopped dinging and lighting up. he knew max was worried sick about him though so it wasn't a surprise that as he laid his head to sleep,

the migraines began.