twenty-three : shadows will scream that i'm alone

"hey" josh smiled, rounding the counter and entering through the small wooden door, "how was your first day?"

tyler sighed in relief at the sight of josh's smiling face. warmth seeped into his heart and his cheeks burnt. it was still an unfamiliar feeling but nearly not as unfamiliar.

work had been hectic. a lot of people came in to read. who knew people loved books so much? tyler was just glad because of the silence. it was the least he could get out of his boredom.

brendon was still in the library reading and he was the last one there seeing as it was closing time. tyler wanted to tell him to leave but he didn't know how.

"slow" tyler says, "how was school?"

"terrifying" josh jokes, stepping out of inside the small counter for tyler to come out. to his utter surprise, tyler engulfs him into a hug, face smushed into josh's shoulder. josh immediately snakes his hand around the younger boys waist, pulling him close and perceiving his cheap cologne that he'd gotten used to and loved.

"i missed you" tyler whispered into josh's neck, shoulders shaking and it took some time for josh to realise he was crying with this silent sniffles.

"i hate work, josh. it's so far from home, from you" tyler pulls away and wipes his eyes, sniffling softly.

josh had never seen tyler cry so he didn't know what to do. he simply took tyler's hand and whispered the healing words.

"do you wanna go to the cliff?"

and it was so amazing how much meaning were behind those words. it was like saying, "no matter how sad you are, we'll always have this". it was amazing because josh was telling tyler, "you can count on me and if you can't, you count on this. no matter what, though, you have something to fall back on"

tyler nodded frantically and smiled through his tears, "gotta lock up" he says to josh and they suddenly remember brendon was there, sitting on the chair and staring at them with such admiration in his eyes.

"i'll leave" he excuses himself, getting up and signing out, "good bye, tyler. have a good evening" there was a soft smile on his face that told tyler he really meant it.

"thanks" tyler says.

tyler locked up quickly and josh took his hand, yelling into the wind so his voice was carried for miles,

"to the cliff!"