epilogue I : cos sometimes to stay alive you gotta

Four Years Before:

“tyler, honey. your dad and i are going to the mart, anything you need?” kelly asked, coming down the stairs and fixing the pleats on her skirt.

tyler looked up from his phone, “yeah, get me space hershey's” he requested.

“what?” kelly asked in confusion, “what are space hershey's?”

tyler raised his brows, “you know, those tiny candy's that are shaped like the planets in space?”

kelly's forehead was folded in confusion, “honey” she called out to bill in the room, “what are space hershey's?”

“never heard of it” bill yelled back at her.

she looked at tyler and shrugged, “better come with us before i end up buying tampons”.

“mom” tyler whined, “you're so old” then he huffed and said, “fine” going upstairs to put on his shoes.

kelly laughed. madison and max were out of the house and she only pretended to not know what space hershey's were just so tyler would come with them. she hated leaving her baby boy all alone.

bill came down the stairs and kissed kelly on the cheek sweetly, going into the kitchen and grabbing an apple. kelly trailed behind him, grabbing a banana and tossing tyler who had come downstairs and was standing in the living room one as well.

it fell on the floor because she didn't have good aim but it was okay nonetheless. tyler wasn't listening but he heard kelly laughing loudly as bill told her a joke about banana's and he snorted.

it was probably one of their old people jokes.

they piled into bill's mustang and soon they were on their way. arriving at the grocery store, they shopped for about thirty minutes before deciding to leave. when they got into the car, it refused to start, no matter how many times bill tried.

he sighed and called his mechanic to pick it up. meanwhile, they had to walk because there weren't many taxis in ohio. and so began their long walk home. kelly suggested they take the alley way since it looked like it was about to rain and it was the shortest cut to their house.

walking through the alley way, tyler popped a large chocolate space hershey into his mouth and trudged on.

that was when it started.

a gun shot rang out and the joseph's paused for a minute to confirm if it was really a gun shot. another soon followed and the family was pulled into a frenzy. bill tried to tell everyone to stay calm and find a place to hide but soon a car was screeching into the alley way before they could even move.

tyler only imagined they were trying to run.

but then three masked men jumped out of the car and took a step towards a scared kelly who's groceries had fallen to the floor in fright.

two of three of the buff men held bill down while the other licked his lips disgustingly and inched towards kelly.

“such a pretty woman” he said, allowing his hands to roam all over her body. kelly was too afraid to speak and she was glued to the spot.

tyler was disgusted at what they were doing and his father desperately tried to get up but the men easily pinned him down.

“hey, leave my mom alone!” tyler ordered, running forwards and grabbing the man, punching him in the face.

the man cocked a brow and tsked, “good aim but bad decision” he said and then drew his hand back, punching tyler square in the nose.

tyler heard the crack before he felt it and soon enough, there was a searing pain in his head. his hands immediately went to his face, touching something wet and he realised it was blood.

kelly screamed loudly in fear and concern for her baby boy and bill struggled harder.

“shut up, stupid bitch” the man who punched tyler said and then snapped his head back to him.

“where were we?” he smirked sinisterly.

then before tyler knew what was happening, he was slammed headfirst against the alley way wall. he groaned in pain before he was thrown on the floor and punch after punch rained on, soon his ears were ringing and kelly's screams and pleas were becoming a dull sound at the back of his head.

then he felt something hard hit him on his head and his breathing stopped but not before he heard three gun shot ring out and someone mutter, “shit”

tyler woke up to the feeling of rain on his face.

he groaned at the searing pain at the back of his head and his hand immediately went to cradle it. it hurt to breathe and the rain kept getting in his eye.

tyler tried to remember what happened but his mind was blank. he looked around the dark alley way and could make out an outline of two bodies sprawled on the floor. his eyes adjusted to the darkness and he gasped when he realized it was his parents laying on the floor, a pool of blood surrounding them.

tears stung tyler's eyes and he choked, bringing his left hand up to wipe his face from the rain but his hand was heavy and he looked down at it to find a revolver in it.

he gasped and put two and two together and came to the conclusion that he killed his parents.

tyler choked out a sob and ran home faster than he'd ever run in his life. when he got home he found his favourite brother, jay, on the couch watching tv.

“hey, kid. where'd you go? where's mom and dad?” he asked.

tyler liked jay because he always let him smoke even though he was just thirteen. so he couldn't help as he choked out,

“i killed mom and dad”

jay looked at him as if he had two heads and that was when he told everyone everything. well, what he remembered anyway.

he and his parents went grocery shopping, something happened and he woke up, they were dead with a gun in his hand. madison was sobbing and max and jay looked as if they didn't believe him, like it was some sort of prank.

it wasn't until the next day when their parents were on the news and max got a phone call that they believed him.

two days later, max and madison weren't speaking to him, only jay was. his older brother came into the room and held a cigarette in the air.

“care to smoke?” he asked and tyler nodded somberly.

so they smoked on his bed, in his room. the silence was comforting. after finishing his second stick, jay looked at tyler and smiled.

“i love you, kid” he said.

tyler was confused but didn't hesitate to say, “i love you too”

then jay was out of his room and tyler didn't see him for two days until madison came into his room, crying all over again.

“jay turned himself into to the police” she said, “he told them he did it instead of you”

and that was how tyler lost his family. . . and gained the migraines.

|| - //

now you know.