Chapter 8

Aditya took his guitar and started playing the opening notes of Man Mera, while Pooja sat at the sofa, resting her face on her palm with a smile. Whatever mood Aditya was going to sing, the fact that he touched his guitar after many years made her happy.

Zoya was standing by the gate, still thinking whether to go inside or not, while Aditya strummed his guitar and started singing the opening lines.

Zoya's eyes widened hearing that voice and song from a distance, while she turned at the house. She ran towards the house with an elated and emotional smile; for a moment as the old Zoya who ran towards the auditorium of their university as she heard Aditya sing this song at the Indian Music Fest.

Aditya was singing with closed eyes, while his brain visualized their Music Fest day, while he was singing this song and his eyes were busy searching for Zoya to come, keeping up her word. That sight of Zoya in her white top and blue jeans, reaching the auditorium, heaving for breath, but with a wide smile was still fresh in his mind.

Zoya was leaning along Aditya's door outside his house and listening to the song with closed eyes, while she reminisced the day Aditya sang this sang for the first time. Aditya said a 'yes' to her, just as she wanted; by singing her all-time favorite song. More than the song, the music or it's lyrics, Aditya's emotions were what floored her. He felt each line and he sang it for her; his eyes totally focused on her.

Aditya stood along the door as he played the guitar. Blood dripped on the floor from his bruised fingers as a result of playing the guitar after a very long time, and a vigorous one at that. He had tears in his eyes; not due to his bruised fingers, but due to the mental agony on realizing how much things had changed over these years. He missed seeing that happy face admiring his song being next to him. Even if she is far away from his life now, his heart could still sense her near him. But it's just a wish, his brain said; such a wish which is now far from happening in reality.

Aditya ended the song striking the guitar strings and stood by the door, with his right foot pressed against the door behind, while the guitar rested in his worn out and lifeless hands. On the other side of the door, Zoya stood with closed eyes with a smile in her face, tears rolling down her cheeks, while she was moving her engagement ring in and out of her finger.

Aditya coughed, bringing Zoya out of the trance and she moved away from the door, while the ring slipped off her finger unknowing to her. Forgetting the actual reason for why she came, she quickly rushed out of that place with a disturbed mind and heavy heart.

Pooja came to him with a glass of water, while Aditya drank a bit from it and rubbed his chest. He then turned at the door side window and moved the curtain and looked around. He smirked while he turned at Pooja, "Revisiting the past doesn't bring the past to life...Zoya is one such past...gone are the days with Zoya...and the promises she made!"

Pooja had tears in her eyes, who was already emotional with Aditya's song. Her eyes fell on Aditya's bleeding fingers.

"Oh My God! Adi...look at your fingers...they are bleeding!" Pooja said holding Aditya's hand, while Aditya pulled back his hand and said, "Leave it yaar! What's the big deal...you call Arjun and ask where is he with Dev. Ask him to come back soon and drop you both home...it's getting late."

Saying so, Aditya placed the guitar on the sofa and walked to his room. Pooja looked at the guitar and then moved to the door while her mind was disturbed with thoughts.

"It hurts me to see you this way Adi. I wish I was able to do something for you. But I really don't know what to do..." Pooja uttered as she looked at the blood drops on the floor, "I wish you were here Zoya...you should had witnessed this...I wish!"