Chapter 27

"Had I not picked up some unknown crying kid from the road 26 years back...today no one called Zoya would have had the audacity to come and threaten me like this."

Those words kept echoing in Zoya's ears. She just wanted that day to end soon, but it looked like it was just going to get even worse. She turned back and looked at Waseem, with a shocked face. She didn't even know how to react or what to feel about that.

She then looked at Roshnaq, who was looking down with a distressed face. She walked towards her, and lifted Roshnaq's face by her chin.

"What...what is he telling?" Zoya asked in a nervous tone, as she pointed at Waseem behind her, "What is he talking about?"

Roshnaq closed her eyes and shook her head in denial, while Zoya cupped Roshnaq's face with both her hands and asked in a quivering tone, "Ammi...Ammi, you tell me. He is lying right? He is lying to hurt me right? I am your daughter only, nah? I am your Zoya right? Tell me Ammi...please..."

Roshnaq held Zoya's face with both her hands, and looked at her emotional nervous face, with tears rolling down her cheeks. Zoya added, "Ammi, please tell me Ammi...I am your child only right? You...you always told me...that...I look like you...speak like you...and that you...looked just like me...in your childhood days...was it all...a lie?"

Roshnaq broke down covering her face with her palms, while Zoya hysterically shook Roshnaq by her shoulders, as she asked in tears, "Tell me something, Ammi!! Please!! I beg you...please say something!"

"Zoya..." Roshnaq said holding Zoya's face, while gulping down her emotions, "There has not been a single day when I haven't wished that you were my own blood...I...I so badly wanted to have the privilege...of giving birth to you...but unfortunately...I wasn't...blessed for that...."

Zoya's grip on Roshnaq's shoulders loosened, while her eyes went lifeless hearing it. Zoya went two steps back, while Roshnaq pulled her towards her, by her shoulders.

"But Zoya...I have never...never ever seen you as an adopted child, Zoya. My motherly affection and love to you have always been from my heart. You were the one who quenched my wish of being a mother...You fulfilled that vacuum in my life. I loved you, love you...and shall always love you as my own..." Roshnaq held Zoya's damp cheeks, and tried making Zoya look at her, while Zoya's eyes were still looking down, being completely lifeless.

"You are my Zoya...Roshnaq's Zoya! You are my baby...my own baby..." Roshnaq said emotionally, while Zoya held Roshnaq's hands and pulled them off her face, and moved back and plunged on the couch with a disheveled look.

Zoya covered her face with both her hands, and clutched her hair, as she rocked back and forth without uttering any word. Roshnaq looked at her with a heartbroken expression, while Waseem stood opposite her with hands crossed across his chest, watching Zoya with a slight smirk on his lips.

Destroying your wrath and anger isn't easy...especially when it's regarding Aditya. The only option is to attack you emotionally. Guess it worked! Sorry Zoya beta...You left me with no other option...after all, my peace is more important!

Roshnaq came and sat near Zoya, and said in tears, "Zoya, other than the fact that some other woman gave birth to you, it's also a fact that I showered you with love, no less than a real mother would do. You are the only reason for my existence and the purpose of my life, Zoya. I lived all these years bearing all the pain and struggles...just for you..."

Zoya stayed as such, with her face still buried in her palms, while Roshnaq pleaded, "Zoya, please speak to me...please don't distance yourself from me, Zoya...I can't bear that! Please Zoya...say something...please!"