Chapter 26

The clock ticked in regular intervals; the only sound which was audible enough in that room. Waseem was sitting in his chair with a clueless expression, as his eyes were fixed on Zoya, who was sitting on the other side of his table, staring at the blood drops dripping off her injured fist, as a result of banging the glass table.

There were a few moments of silence, as both Waseem and Zoya continued to remain in the same posture, without uttering a word. Waseem just stared at her, while his mind assured him about one fact, crystal clear. This meeting is not going to a good one, and there was a high chance that his equation with Zoya is going to become worse after this day.

Zoya tapped the table loudly with her hands and moved forward in her seat, leaning forward, while her sudden gesture startled Waseem a bit.

"How are you, Abbu?" Zoya asked, with a smile on her face.

Waseem eyed her up and down, while he just stared at her. He didn't feel like Zoya really wanted to know an answer for that question. He at least understood her and her behavioral traits that much.

"Don't stare at me this much, Abbu..." Zoya said with a smirk, "You might cast an evil eye on me!"

Waseem stared at her, hearing that while Zoya added, "So...tell me...how are you? You know...I would suggest you to answer this today. Allah knows...I might never ask such a question to you hereafter in my life. So...it's your last chance!"

Waseem furrowed his brows hearing that, while he didn't understand the inner meaning hidden in Zoya's words. Something wasn't right; he confirmed.

"No answer?" Zoya asked, while she stood up from her chair, "Fine! Your bad."

She walked along the side of the table, while moving the chair along with her, and stood opposite to him and smiled at him. She then sat on that chair and faced Waseem, who was sitting opposite to her, eyeing her suspiciously.

She intertwined her palms and leaned forward, looking at Waseem, "Alright...let's wrap up these pleasantries now. Feels like we had enough warm-up time."

Zoya took a deep sigh, as she said looking down at her hands, "I have some doubts...some questions. And I want the answers for that." Zoya's bloodshot eyes rolled up at Waseem, as she pointed both her index fingers at him, "From you. Like how you used to clear my doubts in childhood. Okay?"

Waseem looked away from her, while his brain started flooding with a lot of questions.

What is she coming to? Doubts? Answers? Regarding what? Regarding whom?

He, then, looked up at her, while Zoya tapped her foot on the ground, and moved in the chair forward, closer to him, and stopped while she was just a couple of feet away from Waseem.

"What happened on November 27th, 2015?" Zoya asked in a serious tone, tilting her head to the side, while her eyes welled up, owing to her bustling anger and emotions.

Waseem opened his eyes wide hearing that question, while his heartbeats raced up. There were sweat droplets building up on his forehead. He looked down and recalled that day when he called up Aditya to Lucknow, and worked out his deadly plan on him, unaware to Zoya. He even chased away Pooja and Arjun from their home, using Zoya's name, when they wanted to take Zoya to the hospital to meet Aditya, probably for a last time. Which portion of this story was she talking about? He had no idea about it.

Zoya snapped her fingers, while Waseem came back from his thoughts and looked back at Zoya.

"I do not have the whole day with me." Zoya said in a low tone, with a serious face, "So, better answer me soon...what happened to my Adi that day?"