Stay

They made it to Rinka's place and Ryunosuke kept in step with her the whole way. When he entered her room she didn't object, instead closing the closet door to change. She came out searing sweat pants and what appeared to be a workout sports bra.

As she took her hair down Ryu noticed at least a dozen small bruises beginning to form on her stomach, right with the bullet scar from their last bad memory. By tomorrow they would mold into one big bruise. He couldn't believe what had happened, and he felt strangely responsible. If he hadn't have embarassed her she wouldn't have been mad at him and he could have walked her home. He also noticed small scars littering her back, some short and thin, some inches long and wide, and some tiny round puckery ones. She touched a bruise to hard and hissed in pain, causing Ryu to drop too his knees.

Rinka had a high pain tolerence and she was hurting bad enough to show it. She walked to him stopping directly in front of him.

"I told you I'd be taller than you one day" she said in a humorous voice tinged with both physical and emotional pain. On his knees Ryu was nose to belly button with her, for he had always been one of the tallest in class and his last growth spurt didn't change that fact. Rinka, however, had not grown more than an inch since her second year of  junior high. He gently pressed his lips to one of the larger purple marks, before wrapping his arms around her middle.

That's all it took, Rinka colapsed into quiet sobs. Ryunosuke had only ever seen her cry once in all their five years of being friends. He was on his back, with his shoulders and head against the west wall. She had her arms wrapped around his neck, burring her face into his chest, crying for all she was worth.

He felt a lump in his throat too, wishing only that he could somehow make it all better. It was well after dark and Rinka had seemed to have cried herself to sleep, he carried her to her bed. As he turned to leave he felt something catch his shirt.

He turned wide eyed to Rinka "Stay" she asked quietly.