Prologue

The cracking and popping of my whole body blocked my hearing from my dad who was desperately trying to tell me to breathe through the pain. I couldn't figure out how to, though. The pain was unbearable. How was he expecting me to stop screaming long enough to breathe? Eventually it all stopped, but it wasn't like I was before, everything about my senses was different and changed - heightened to a new level I didn't know existed. I froze as I saw my father below me, causing me to wonder how that was. He was always a good foot taller than me, me being the smallest in my family.

"Calm down, Laela, this is who you are and you will be okay." He told me calmly, as if he had seen this exact scene play out multiple times before. I could still feel myself trembling in fear as he spoke and coached me through how to change back to a human.

That was back when we were still a family and I wasn't the only piece still standing.

Over the next two years, I learned to embrace who I was, loving the magic that runs through my veins. I still do, but it's harder.

It was a beautiful night, but it was too peaceful and it had left me feeling uncomfortable the whole time. My parents said it was just because of upcoming exams but I could tell by the look in my father's and mother's exchanged glances that my feeling was justified, they felt it, too.

I was right.

I hate that I was right.

The two red eyed men ran into our house without warning, my parents doing everything they could to fend them off, but it wasn't enough. My sister was still a causality that night, too. I didn't even realize I had phased until I was already running. I didn't stop.

I hardly ever stop anymore, I've lost track of how many state borders I've crossed, and I've been into Canada so much I'll eventually earn a badge as an honorary citizen. Crossing into Washington this time, though, I had a strong and comfortable feeling that I would be okay here.