Chapter 25

I would like to sincerely apologize for the almost three-month break of no updating. School took its toll on me, but I am finally done for the summer and, hopefully, will be updating more.

Thank you for welcoming me back to almost 17 THOUSAND reads and almost 600 votes! I cannot stress enough how much that means to me. I love you all and here's, finally, Chapter 25.

Seth was asleep next to me after Carlisle had told him he should be healed in a couple hours, while Bella was very obviously feeling extremely guilty for the incident. Ness was her distraction as she kept demanding her attention every time Bella tried talking to anyone else. I didn't know what she was showing her, but you could see the wonder on Bella's face as she watched. Jasper was on the other side of me, his arm wrapped around my shoulder but his eyes were glued to Bella, carefully watching her every emotion.

The movement was sudden, but in the next second Jasper had Bella's arms pinned behind her back and Ness was in Edward's hands.

"What did I do?" Bella asked, confusion clear as day written in her voice and on her face.

"But she was remembering being thirsty," Edward muttered, just as confused as Bella was. "She was remembering the taste of human blood."

I watched in annoyance as Jasper pulled her arms tighter, though he quickly loosened them once he took one look at me. She could have easily broken his hold, but she stood still.

"Yes," She agreed. "And?"

Edward frowned for a second more, and then his expression loosened. He laughed once. "And nothing at all, it seems. The overreaction is mine this time. Jazz, let her go."

Jasper let her go, and Bella reached right back out for Ness, who eagerly leaned towards her mother.

"I don't understand, I can't bear this." Jasper muttered, walking out of the door without looking back. I followed behind him, giving Leah a little nod as I left, telling her I'd be okay. He leapt across the lake and I followed behind him, waiting until we were far enough from the house to speak. I didn't break the silence when we came to a stop, just wrapped my arms around him and rested my head against his back.

"I don't understand how she's so strong already. How she's able to be around Renesmee, how she ran away from the hiker, how she's so calm she hasn't even picked up on the fact you're pregnant. Ever since Carlisle pointed it out to me, I've been able to sense how you're more human and Edward has, too. She's too calm and controlled. I don't get it." He ranted, speaking so quick it took me a second to actually comprehend what he said.

"She's been preparing for this for almost two years, my love. She was expecting this, maybe it's something similar to studying for a test. The more you prep for it, the better it goes after." I suggested, moving to stand in front of him, though the minute he looked down at me, he looked away, like he couldn't bear to see me.

"Or maybe I'm just a monster. I've taken more lives than anyone could count, human or not. I've been with Carlisle now for over half a century and I still struggle to control myself. Rosalie found Emmett a mere two years after being changed and she was able to control herself, Bella's currently back at the house with the self-control of Rosalie. She ran away from human blood in the middle of her hunt, and I have to be held back and thrown across a room at one of my calmest times to avoid attacking her." I didn't interrupt as he continued ranting, though I know he could feel just how much I disagreed with him. Once he finally finished, I spoke up.

"Jasper," I started, though his eyes never came down to look at me, instead continuing to look over me. "Jasper." I repeated again, this time my voice sterner, and he looked down. "You were not raised the same way your siblings were, you had to learn self-control after how many years with having to not worry? I doubt any of the nomads that run around the world would be able to do any better than you are right now. As far as Bella goes, no one knows how she's able to control herself so well, but you know as well as I do, Carlisle is going to come up with an explanation of some sort." I told him, holding eye contact with him the entire time.