~Chapter 18: Into Shadowclan Territory~

The Riverclan cats silently escorted them out. Turtlepaw kept her head down, so eying about the warriors made her shy. They seemed grumpy, or maybe just uncomfortable around the enemy clan. They reacted Shadowclan border. "Good luck." Silverripple grunted, turned away and was followed by his companions. Then faced the talk pine trees. Turtlepaw's eyes widened at the size and beauty of then, although she could never live there. How did Shadowclan and Thunderclan bear to have the sky blocked out? She gave her pelt a shake, and stared into he undergrowth. Beepelt hesitated from entering the dark territory. Somethibg was just eerie about it. "Hey!" A rough growl came from inside the forest as a brown tom with a black speckled pelt stepped out of the woods, followed by a pretty red she- cat and a slender black one. "You better have a darn good reason for being here, you Windclan cats!"

***********************

The tom spat, unsheathing his claws. Beepelt hissed at him, unsheathing his claws to. They both lashed their tail, staring each other furiously in the eye. Lakesong stepped I. Front if Beepelt, dipping he head to the Shadowclan deputy Crookedbranch. "We came here to seek Shadowclan's aid." "We aren't interested in fighting Thunderclan for you." The red she-cat known as Firesobg growled, "We've got out is problems with them." Lakesong shook her head. "Not at all. You see, Windclan is running low on cat mint...." Crookedbranch frowned at the medicine cat. "Sorry. We can't help you with that." he dismissed curtly. She narrowed her eyes and stepped over the border. "Oh, I think you can." she pressed.

********************

He stared furiously at her, pelt bristling. "Get off Shadowclan territory!" he spat, lashing his tail. She shrugged. "Medicine cats can go where they please. I'll visit Quailstar, whether you like it or not." Crookedbranch looked like he was going to lunge at her for a moment, and Beepekt tensed, ready to spring to her rescue. But he relaxed. "Very well." he growled, casting a glare at Lakesong, "Follow us. And don't get any ideas...."

************************

She dipped her head, and walked after them, followed quickly by Beepelt, Eagleclaw, and Turtlepaw. The pine scent was overwhelming. They headed deeper into the dim woods, straight to Shadowclan camp. They reached a thorn barrier, with an opening, guarded by two warriors Turtlepaw knew were Dustnose and Swiftfur. They eyed the Windclan cats, Gaye standing up on the back if their necks. Lakesong ignored them, as if she had dive this before. "She probably has." Turtlepaw thought, passing by the guards with her head lowered.

***********************

They betted a chattery clan, which quieted as soon as they saw them. Quailstar, a beautiful black and white she-cat with amber eyes, jumped down from a platform where her den was. She coldly stared at the Windclan cats, but she wasn't an idiot. "Come with me," She growled, flicking her tail and beckoning Snowfeather, the Shadowclan medicine cat. They headed up towards her den.

**********************

Turtlepaw entered pitch blackness, but her eyes adjusted and she could see a nest in the middle of the den and a half eaten thrush Quailstar had been eating before they interrupted her. Quailstar sat down before the Windclan cats, Snowfeather joining her. "What brings you here?" she asked calmly, directing her gaze on Lakesong who stood in the middle. "We have come seeking your aid." she mewed, dipping her head to the leader. "In battle?" "No." "Then what?" "Greencough is spreading like wild fire in out camp. We ask to use some of your cat mint." Quailstar dipped her head. "Yes, you may. But remember this alliance before you rush in to attack us for some reason in the future," Quailstar meowed, glancing coldly at Beepelt. She flicked her tail. "You are dismissed. Snowfeather will give you the cat mint and then Firesong and Shadowstrike will show you out." Snowfeather got up, leading the cats out of the leader's den. They jumped down, padding across the pine nettle stricken camp to the medicine cat den. Turtlepaw could feel the Shadowclan cat's stare burning at her pelt, and was relieved to enter the den.

**********************

It was lighter in there than Quailstar's den, so her eyes didn't need to adjust. Snowfeather smiled at Lakesong and then picked up two bundles of cat mint, pawing them over to Lakesong. "I hope your clan gets better soon." She said in a silky sweet voice. Lakesong dipped her head. "My thanks, Snowfeather." Lakesong picked up one of the bundles, Beepelt the other. They headed out, joined by Firesong and Shadowstrike.

***************************

It was a long, tiring, and uneventful trek back to Windclan camp. Turtlepaw sighed in relief as they entered it, and all eyes were directed on them. Larkstar pushed her way through the crowd. "You got it?" she asked frantically to Lakesong, who nodded and dropped the catmint. Beepelt pushed his bundle over too. Larkstar relaxed, but then her eyes clouded. "We already lost one." she murmured, and the clan broke away to reveal Spottedpelt, dead on the ground.

*************************