~Chapter 14: An Uneasy Announcement~

"All cats who can catch their own prey, gather under high rock!" Turtlestar had barley noticed Larkstar jump into high rock. She stopped her trek to the nursery and instead gathering underneath Larkstar and high rock with the rest of her clan mates. Larkstar's impression was serious as she continued once everyone was present, "As some if you may know, Thunderclan threatened to fight for more territory at the gathering two nights ago." Part of the clan murmured in hushed but nervous voices, while the others hissed and growled in outrage. Larkstar nodded slightly, then once things had silenced continued, "I do not plan on letting them rip away our territory. We will fight, but we will not make the first move. Be on your guard. Make sure to plan extra patrols on their border." The clan departed after this, and Beepelt stepped forward to organize patrols. "Robinwing, Pebblepaw, Sunstripe, Hollowstep, and Turtlepaw go on dawn patrol." he ordered, flicking his tail to dismiss them.

************************

Beepelt's voice faded as the group headed into the mood, straight for the Tgubderclan border. Turtlepaw wished she was chosen to go hunting instead of this. Even pulling ticks out if the elders would be better. They walked in silence deeper into the forest. Pebblepaw avoided Turtkepaw's gaze. She suddenly felt guilty for breaking his heart, but slightly angry at him for ruining their friendship. She gave her pelt a shake, quickening her pace. The Windclan patrol reacted the border, and got busy with marking it. Pebblepaw and Turtlekaw went their separate ways.

*************************

Luckily, there was no activity from Thunderclan. They finished and regrouped, trudging off to the Riverclan border to repeat the process. By that time it was already noon. Turtlepaw shivered as a cold breeze ruffled her fur. Sunstripe lifted his nose. "We should probably catch a piece of prey or two." he mewed, looking back at the freezing cats. Despite the cold, they nodded faithfully. "Let's split up." Hollowstep ordered, taking charge once more. They departed, Turtlepaw heading off towards the lake again.

*******************************

She tasted for the familiar scent if a vole that Frogpaw had taught her. She scented one downwind, dropping into a hunting crouch. She snaked forward; and wriggled her hips, preparing to spring. She landed perfectly on it this time, kcocking it dead. "Nice catch." Pebblepaw's mew surprised her as he stepped our from the bushes. "He was watching me...." Turtlepaw thought. She said nothing. "Look. You said you wanted to be friends, sky let's be friends." Pebblepaw mewed, nudging her. She smiled slightly. "You're right Pebblepaw. I'm sorry." she mewed, nudging him playfully back.

*****************************