~Chapter 16: Dawn Patrol~

Hollowstep's voice woke up Turtlepaw with a jump. "Dawn patrol." She got up quickly, and padded out if the apprentice den, blinking at the sunshine. She was followed by Otterkit. Together the two joined Hollowstep, Beepelt, and Hawkfang by the camp exit. Turtlepaw was nervous about going to Thunderclan border, but was excited that she could finally spend some time with her sister. Otterpaw and Turtlepaw padded out behind the older warriors, their pelts brushing side by side. Otterpaw purred. "I haven't seen you in forever!" she joked. Turtlepaw grinned. "Yeah." The time passed quickly and before Turtlepaw knew it they had reached the border line.

*************************

"Hollowstep and Turtlepaw, you go farther down. The rest if us will mark right here and down there." Beepelt instructed, flicking his tail. They nodded and departed. Turtlepaw pricked her ears as she walked along the border line in front of her mentor. She tasted the air. Rabbit! She dropped into a hunting crouch, snaking forward. "We're not here to hunt." Holkowtel growled. She shrugged. "It can't hurt." Turtlepaw gathered her haunches, and pounced ontop of the unsuspecting rabbit. "Ha!" she cried triumphantly, picking it up and carrying it over to Hollowstep. He chuckled, shaking his head.

************************

Suddenly, a Thunderclan scent hit Turtlepaw's nose. She sneezed, hating the scent way too much. A Thunderclan patrol stepped out of the bushes. They bore scars the the battle the night before, same as Hollowstep and Turtlepaw. Hollowstep dipped his head to the reddish she-cat leading. "Greetings, Vixentail." She lashed her tail. "You're awfully close to the border within that rabbit, aren't you?" Vixentail growled, eyeing it. Turtlepaw clutched it tighter in her jaws. Honeypaw and Sunstep narrowed their eyes, lashing their tails. "We caught it on out side of the border." Hollowstep growled. Vixentail stared at it. "Hmmm...seems like you're outnumbered." she spat, "Hand over the rabbit and we won't give you any trouble." "No." Hollowstep said firmly, "Windclan will not let you steal prey." "I wouldn't call it stealing, I would call it negotiating." Hollowstep rolled his eyes. "Good bye." He growled and stalked away, followed by Turtlepaw. The Thunderclan cats watched them go with a hungry glint in their eyes. Turtlepaw wondered how long it would take them to crack and start stealing more prey. She shuddered. Starclan would never allow it.

************************