Chapter 16

Frank pulls me aside from the others. He looks like he is near tears. I try to stay serious but I can't help myself for feeling sorry for him.

This is my fifth mission as Commander, I can't soften up like this already.

"What's wrong?" I whisper and intertwine my fingers with his. Holding his hand, I could feel him shaking. "I need you to calm down for me."

He hugs me softly.

"I'm scared. I-I didn't think it is this bloodthirsty." He whimpers and holds my shirt tightly.

I want to comfort him, but I don't know how.

I'm just as terrified as he is.

"I warned you." I say, rolling my eyes.

"I know, you were right, goddamnit! I hate this." He whimpers.

I look away from Frank and give the other soldiers our guns so that they can continue marking the territory.

I turn back to Frank.

"Me too, but you have to stay strong for me, okay?"

"I'm so scared."

He starts crying.

"Hey, don't cry. It's going to be okay? When we get back to basecamp, we'll be safe. Nothing is going to happen, I promise."

"You can't promise that."

"Well, I can try my best." I whisper and hug Frank tightly.

My ear tunes out Frank's cries on my shoulder,  and I hear shots firing.

My heart is pounding in my throat, we don't have any guns. We can't protect ourselves, we have to hide.

Frank starts to panic.

"Okay, I need you to listen to me. We have to hide, we're unequipped. Just follow me, I'll protect you."

I look around me, there is no where to take cover, the others have disappeared and are probably fighting a few minutes up ahead.

"We're going to have to run for it. Just stay close." I whisper and Frank shakes his head.

I start jogging away from him, he follows me. Soon we're both running at full speed, over the bodies from earlier, back towards the basecamp.

Everything around us has been turned to rubble, no walls or anything to hide behind.

I take a deep breath and the smell makes me stop. I stop and Frank runs into me, I'm firm enough on the ground so Frank bounces off me like a bouncy ball. I offer my hand to help him up.

"Don't panic but, there's a pack of them coming from the front too." I whisper and grab Frank's hand.

I'm terrified.

Frank is going into an absolute panic.

"This is it, we're going to die."

"I need you to stay calm." I say and look around and see the tunnel starting to light up behind us and voices are becoming louder.

We're screwed.

Looking around in desperation, I see a small hole in the tunnel's wall. It's not deep but if the wolves don't pay too much attention they'll walk right past us.

I hope they do.

I grab Frank's hand and pull him towards the wall. I let him climb in first, making sure he is safe. He holds his hand out for me to take. I climb in next to him.