Chapter 21

"Where are we going?" Frank whispers as I hide behind the weaponry storage room's wall. I show him to be quiet with my finger, "Gerard fucking way. It's 2 am. I'm tired."

"Stop complaining. I'll show you Lillith is a threat. Climb up the drain pipe." I point to him. He shakes his head as he stares at it, wide eyed.

"That's almost three stories."

"Yet you can jump out of my bedroom window from the fourth floor of the mansion. Come on." I start climbing, Frank anxiously looks around but then also starts climbing the shaky drain pipe.

After a few seconds I'm at the top, looking back over.

Frank holds tightly onto the pipe. I softly chuckle and hold out my hand for him. He takes it and I pull him up. There's a spark of electricity that goes through us as we touch.

I get down on my knees and impatiently wait for Lilith.

Breath in.

Breath out.

Breath in.

Breath out.

Finally, Lillith appears at the gates.

She impatiently looks on her watch. The same black wolf appears and Frank's mouth hangs open.

"Where was he?" He hisses picking up Lillith and holding her to the gate.

"I-I, he took a sick day. I don't know, his commander didn't let him fight." She squeaks and he drops her.

She falls onto the ground and in fear looks up at him. He balls his fists angrily and gives her one hard knock. She falls to the floor.

"Deal is a deal. You cost us a lot of territory we badly needed. You'll need to pay for it soon enough." He picks her up by her collar, "If Iero isn't on that field tomorrow, I'll kill your little boyfriend."

"Gerard isn't my boyfriend. He's my prodigy. For the fuck I care kill him and Iero both." She growls and the wolf nods.

I hear Frank's heart rate skyrocket. He starts breathing heavily and I cup my hand over his mouth. I feel a warm tear on my fingers. My hands shake and I watch them.

"I'll see you on the battlefield, Comrade." The wolf howls leaving into the dark. "Better luck next time." He howls and then the sound also disappears.

Lillith disappears as well.

***

"Calm down Frankie." I say trying to soothe him, but he continues to freak out.

I grab him in my arms, trying to stop him from shaking.

"She wants to kill us. How do you mean stay calm? If we walk out on that battlefield, we'll die for sure and I'm not ready to leave. I still want to spe...." He sobs onto my shoulder.

I softly put my hand in his.

"Just take a deep breath. When was the last time you fed?"

"Why does that matter now? Our senses improve the less we drink. About last month, if you really want to know." Frank groans and lays down on the bed.

"The lees you drink, the more over whelming your emotions get. Just have some okay? It will calm you down." I hand him my small metal container of blood.

He looks at me, questioning it. I nod my head and He opens up the little bottle, gulping it down.

He quickly finishes it and throws the bottle on the floor. His eyes look thirsty and turn bright red.

"I need more." He growls licking off his lips and he takes a deep breath, "That just tastes good." He shakes his head, "What the hell is wrong with me?"

"That's what a hungry vampire looks like. I'll get you some more in the morning for now we're all out."

"What are we gonna do?" He whispers softly.

"I don't know how yet but we'll be fine. I promise." I hold his hand and squeeze it. "Why do they want to kill you?"

Frank hesitates, "For revenge on you. You killed their leader. They'll kill everyone you love."

"They fucking killed Mikey." I stop in my middle sentence.

The sentence makes the room dark.

"Come on Mikey, just stay with me. We're almost there just a few more steps. Mikey? Mikey! Stay with me buddy, please don't go..."

That scene plays over in my head. His blood running down my shirt. His lifeless hand on my lap, I cradled him like a baby.

I shake my head. A tear rolls down my cheek, I try wiping it off.

"Hey, it's okay." Frank says, hugging me.

"I miss him, Frank." I whimper on his shoulder.

"I miss him too. We can do this together, we can do this for him. Okay?"

He puts his hand on my cheek and gently wipes off my tear with his thumb.

"W-w-why..." is the only thing I managed to say.

"Shh, just let it out."

"I'm sorry." I cry.

"You shouldn't be sorry. You're one one of the strongest people I've ever known, okay? I'm so proud of you, you've worked so hard. He's proud of you too, I know he is."

I continue to cry on Frank's shoulder.