Chapter 22: My Beautiful Nightmare

I opened my eyes and screamed. I was in the prison, that reeked of sewage and death. I ran to the bars and shook it. I can't be here...no. I was in Neverland; how did I get here? I gripped the bars and it burned my hands. I jumped back and saw it. A black ghostly figure watching me, with its crimson red eyes. It smiled, and I screamed in terror. I was back...I was back for good, and now ...I was going to die here.

Something broke through the bars at the window high above the wall. I shielded myself with my arms and looked up. I saw a familiar shadow...Peter Pan's shadow, its hands reaching out to me.

I did not hesitate but rather grabbed the thing's arm with both my hands.  It started to pull me up just as the ghostly black figure walked towards me. It's icy presence enveloping me. I glanced at its face, and it suddenly showed itself. I screamed again.

It was my abuser, my betrayer, my enemy...it was my father.

"Finley!"

My real eyes opened and I was shaking. I was back in the cot, in the tent. It was still early morning. I looked up to see Peter Pan kneeling at my bed.

"Did I wake you up?"I asked, suddenly feeling embarrassed...embarrassed and vulnerable. "Or does the immortal youth ever sleep?"

Peter Pan waved his hand and the light of the lamp next to me suddenly lit up. No doubt thanks to his magic.  For once, I was actually relieved to see his face and surprised.  I would have thought Quinton of all people would be here, but then, our fight was intense. He stormed off, and I was left to go to sleep. Rather that, than join the Lost Boys with their dancing. It would only have angered Quinton all the more. 

Peter Pan tilted his head as he stared at me. I moved slightly back, against the tent. 

"Look, so what if I was screaming? Doesn't make me weak,"

"Doesn't it?" Peter Pan took a seat, and I sighed. He wasn't leaving any time soon.

"No, don't pretend that you know me," I said defensively.

"I know more than you think," Peter Pan murmured and grinned as he glanced down then back up at me. "Tell me, how often do you have these dreams?"

Seeing no harm, I shrugged, "Ever since I left the prison...about ten years ago."

He leaned forward. "Ten years of letting your memories haunt you..."

"You can't make them stop," I said.

"What if I can?"

My heart skipped a beat, and I clutched my blanket. I felt very much like a girl, scared, tired and nervous. Very nervous.

"I guess, I would really appreciate it," I said.

Peter Pan smirked and he took out his pipes. 

"That only makes me dance," I said. 

"What if I told you, that I know more than one song?" Peter Pan said and he stood up. "But first, tell me something..."

"I thought you know everything," I said and grinned. 

Peter Pan raised his eyebrow and flipped the pipes over.  "Oh, yes, I know a lot more than you think like I said before, but something doesn't add up quite yet..."

My heart started racing. Was he busy figuring out my plan? Does he know about Hook? I tried to keep a straight face as he took a seat at the end of the cot.

"What is it?"

"Why  cling to Quinton when you know he will not provide you your freedom?" Peter Pan asked. 

"Who says he can't?"

Peter Pan scoffed. "He cannot help you...that's for sure. He just won't ever be able to understand."

"And you do?"

Peter Pan gave one of his devious smiles. "Of course..."

"So...tell me one thing, Peter Pan, just for once...answer me honestly,"  I said as I swung my legs over the cot and stood up, looking at him. 

"Shoot,"

"Was the ...well, I know I kept accusing you of playing games and all, but a part of me...just a small part..." I looked at the opening of the tent, scared that Quinton might pop in at any moment, or maybe because I wanted an escape for finally asking the most embarrassing question ever. However, I needed to know why. I had to.  "Was it real or was it a game? The ...the kiss?" I finally managed out. "I find myself unable to read you...and I never can tell when you're serious or when you're actually playing tricks..."

Peter Pan took a step closer and I felt his breath on my face. I clenched my hands together.

"You once asked me why I let you keep your sword after trying to kill me, and said that we both know that it more than a game...you were right, Finley, it is so much more including....that kiss,"   Peter Pan said. My heart jumped and he started blowing on his pipes. I suddenly grew dizzy and fell back into my cot, fast asleep. This time, however, I was dreaming that was flying in Neverland, with Peter Pan...who was and truly is, my beautiful nightmare...